USB Creator Issues on Mac OS 10.15 Catalina

I spent all morning trying to make a bootable disk on my mac and failed, disabled sip, added full disk acces.  The disk is created but is not bootable.

If I try manually, using the script I get errors from syslinux abount being able to unmount.  If I run syslinux myself manually (same command that the script does) syslinux doesn't error and says it completed corretly, but again, the disk is not bootable.

Eventually I booted into Windows, ran the utility there and it worked first time.

It would be nice to have prepared images available so that we can use other software like etcher which has never failed me.

• 4 weeks later...

Following my USB failure last night, I tried to create a new USB key under Catalina and again was unsuccessful, disk was not bootable.

The tool or make_bootable_mac script didn't work, I've disabled SIP.  When I run the script, I get:

INFO: The following drive appears to be the unRAID USB Flash drive: 
/dev/disk5
 61.5GB

Permit UEFI boot mode [Y/N]: y
To continue please enter your admin INFO: Unmounting /dev/disk5
Forced unmount of all volumes on disk5 was successful
INFO: Writing MBR on /dev/disk5
0+1 records in
0+1 records out
447 bytes transferred in 0.002103 secs (212544 bytes/sec)
INFO: Mounting /dev/disk5
Volume(s) mounted successfully
syslinux for Mac OS X; created by Geza Kovacs for UNetbootin unetbootin.sf.net
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
"/dev/disk5s1" unmounted successfully.
/dev/disk5s1: invalid media signature (not an FAT/NTFS volume?)

INFO: the Unraid OS USB Flash drive is now bootable and may be ejected.

Unsurprisingly the disk isn't bootable.  I managed to borrow my daughters windows laptop this morning, used the USB creator and copied across a backup of the config and the disk booted up straight away, no issues.

We desperately need another solution to this, Catalina has been out a while and the USB creator is still broken.

If you can't fix it (and even if you can) in the mean time can you supply an img that can be written using balena etcher so that there's an easy way of creating a working USB stick with no fuss under Catalina.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/13/2020 at 7:34 PM, wgstarks said:

Did you disable SIP?

Neither the USB creator app nor the manual install script is working on MacOS Catalina 10.15.4. SIP disabled, and the app has full disk access. USB drive is formatted FAT32 and named UNRAID. The script make_bootable_mac doesn't even look like it would work right -- it appears to be copying files to/from the wrong places. I'm pretty good with this stuff, but it's extremely difficult (impossible?) to make a bootable USB stick on a Mac running Catalina right now. I eventually gave up and used my kid's Windows box to make the USB drive. I'm still really looking forward to bringing my first unRAID box online!

Edited by grigsby
typo, added positive comment last sentence
  • 1 month later...

I am evaluating Unraid and the USB creator is broken on Catalina (10.15.5) and the alternative shell copy and run command mode is riddled with errors. Not the start I was hoping for, it feels like building my Hackintosh.... Adding my 2 cents here:

The USB stick does seem to boot but I am not exactly having the warm fuzzies for my first boot.

Any solution here? (beside pulling out a windows machine to make a bootable USB stick)

---

xxxxx-MacBook-Air:UNRAID locmer$ sudo ./make_bootable_mac
Password:
INFO: make_bootable_mac v1.3

INFO: The following drive appears to be the unRAID USB Flash drive:
/dev/disk2
 30.8GB

Permit UEFI boot mode [Y/N]: Y
To continue please enter your admin INFO: Unmounting /dev/disk2
Forced unmount of all volumes on disk2 was successful
INFO: Writing MBR on /dev/disk2
0+1 records in
0+1 records out
447 bytes transferred in 0.001260 secs (354750 bytes/sec)
INFO: Mounting /dev/disk2
Volume(s) mounted successfully
syslinux for Mac OS X; created by Geza Kovacs for UNetbootin unetbootin.sf.net
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
"/dev/disk2s1" unmounted successfully.
/dev/disk2s1            DOS_FAT_32                         /Volumes/UNRAID
mountpoint is '/Volumes/UNRAID'
checkpoint1
checkpoint2
checkpoint3
Processing: /Volumes/UNRAID/ldlinux.sys
checkpoint4
checkpoint5
checkpoint6
checkpoint7
Processing: /Volumes/UNRAID/ldlinux.c32
checkpoint8
checkpoint9
checkpoint10
"/dev/disk2s1" unmounted successfully.
checkpoint11
checkpoint12
checkpoint13
checkpoint14
checkpoint15
/dev/disk2s1            DOS_FAT_32                         /Volumes/UNRAID
syslinux installed successfully!

INFO: the Unraid OS USB Flash drive is now bootable and may be ejected.

xxxxxx-MacBook-Air:UNRAID locmer$

• 1 year later...

Any updates on this condition?

I got this message:

Your flash drive is corrupted or offline. Post your diagnostics in the forum for help

And when I try to use the Creator:

“Unraid USB Creator.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."

tower-diagnostics-20211017-0652.zip

Edited by -jim
  • 2 months later...
On 10/17/2021 at 6:52 AM, -jim said:

Any updates on this condition?

When I try to use the Creator:

“Unraid USB Creator.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information"

I needed to use the unRAID creator tool 5 days ago, January 10 and received the same error message. How is this constantly being ignored...?

4 minutes ago, unRAIDuser7 said:

I needed to use the unRAID creator tool 5 days ago, January 10 and received the same error message. How is this constantly being ignored...?

@jonp

I’m tagging LimeTech on this. They may not even be aware.

The manual method should still work though.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, this is 100% broken.  The USB creator doesn't register any USB drives regardless of USB3 or USB2.  Nothing I do can get around this.  Sadly the previously created and working USB drive just got corrupted and not my unRAID server is down until I can figure out how to get a new one created which right now isn't looking so good.  This is a MASSIVE issue!!!!!!!!!!  I'm left without a working server.  Unacceptable!