Question for C/C++ programmers

bubbaQ

Sounds like you need a real old-fashioned unix-manual.  I went down to my collection of unix manuals but did not find entries for termios... (Guess they are too old.  They still referenced the older ioctl calls.)

This might help though:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=mozilla-20&index=blended&link_code=qs&field-keywords=termios%20&sourceid=Mozilla-search

It will result in a number of books, many of which can be searched to see excerpts...

The "The C/Unix Programmer's Guide" looks like it might work for your needs and there are probably others.

"Linux Device Drivers, 3rd Edition" might work or

"UNIX System Programming (2nd Edition)"

All of those allow you to "look inside" and search for specific terms.  Searching for "termios" provided pages where it was described. (click on the "next" on the right middle margin to advance to the next occurrence of the term in the book.  almost as easy as browsing through the paper copy in a bookstore)

Thanks Joe.  I had already searched Amazon and Google books with various terms and looks at the text (where available) and most of the hits are primarily rehashes of the glibc docs.  Stevens' book already does a bit better than that.

There are, unfortunately, a lot of books in Amazon, and Google, that don't have previews.  :(  So that was why I posted here.  I would really like to get something that is specific to serial communications under Linux with C/C++.

Thanks Joe.  I had already searched Amazon and Google books with various terms and looks at the text (where available) and most of the hits are primarily rehashes of the glibc docs.  Stevens' book already does a bit better than that.

There are, unfortunately, a lot of books in Amazon, and Google, that don't have previews.  :(   So that was why I posted here.  I would really like to get something that is specific to serial communications under Linux with C/C++.

Got you.

I originally thought you were referring to this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-UNIX-Programming-Marc-Rochkind/dp/0131411543/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289091153&sr=8-1

apparently a very similar title. (and one I have in my library.... hard-cover at that!)

Sorry I could not do better.  Like you, paper copies of UNIX documentation are not used very much around here. The web has made much of my older reference library obsolete.    Now, 20 years ago those same UNIX manuals were coveted, and 30 years ago... nearly non-existent outside of Bell Labs.

Archived