Guidance on failed drive

Greggers

Hi

I've had a drive fail on me (shucked so I can't get it replaced under warranty typically). My plan for the moment is to use disk3 to replace the failed disk2. Can someone give the steps to do this without losing anything? disk3 has nothing on it, disk2 does. I can still access disk2 via /mnt/disk2 so able to copy data from it if required. 

Just high level steps, or a wiki that will explain it. I have found a few wikis but nothing that explains what I am trying to achieve. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by Greggers
spelling and screenshot

There is no standard way to do this - the standard recovery always assumes that you are using a disk that is not currently in the array.

In your case you are going to have to do something like:

• copy all the data from the emulated disk2 onto other disks (presumably disk3 in this case).
  • use Tools->New Config to reset the array
  • assign the disks you are keeping as you want them.    Any existing data on the disks will be left intact.
  • start the array to commit the changes and to start building parity (as the changes above invalidates parity) based on the current disk set.
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

There is no standard way to do this - the standard recovery always assumes that you are using a disk that is not currently in the array.

In your case you are going to have to do something like:

• copy all the data from the emulated disk2 onto other disks (presumably disk3 in this case).
  • use Tools->New Config to reset the array
  • assign the disks you are keeping as you want them.    Any existing data on the disks will be left intact.
  • start the array to commit the changes and to start building parity (as the changes above invalidates parity) based on the current disk set.

Thanks, I’ll give this a go!

I was dubious about doing a New Config as to me that sounds like it’s going to initialise everything!

so, I’m currently rsyncing /mnt/disk2 > /mnt/disk3, once complete I’ll create a new config.

Do I set disk3 as the new disk2 when I do this? 

6 minutes ago, Greggers said:

I was dubious about doing a New Config as to me that sounds like it’s going to initialise everything!

It does reset the array so that you can assign drives as you want them (which is why it invalidates the current parity).   However Unraid will recognize a drive that has previously been partitioned by Unraid and will leave its contents intact when assigning drives to the array.