cant get preclear working

blazinlow

i installed putty and logged in using root as the username. now it says root@the:~#  and when i try to enter the cd/boot or  preclear_disk.sh /dev/hdk it keeps saying no such file or directory? any ideas as to what im doing wrong?

Linux, unlike MS-DOS, requires a space between the "cd" command and the directory name you are changing directory to.

Type

cd /boot

and you'll get there.

or

use the full path-name of the preclear script like this:

/boot/preclear_disk.sh /dev/hdk

Joe L.

• 4 weeks later...

used the full path name /boot/preclear_disk.sh /dev/hdk and it worked thx alot  :)

So I used the above and got my preclear script to start, I typed "Yes" and the status display as it is pre-reading showed up and started. I walked away for 5 mins and when I came back my screen is blank. The HDD light is on for the correct drive, but I have no idea what's going on. Do I power down my server? Could the onboard video on my motherboard pooped? I can log onto http://tower still, but not video output and I only have one monitor.

I had just rebooted and screen came up as it was shutting down. I guess I didn't hit an arrow key like I thought. Time to start the pre-clear over. Thanks for letting me know, another heart attack narrowly averted. Guess it's time to call it a night when I miss obvious things like that. Thanks again

Archived