What do u view video with using unraid?

typh92

I am putting together a shopping list to build a video server for my work in progress theater room and unraid is on the top of the list.  I was wondering what else besides a htpc is there to pull my video off of the unraid server and display it on my tv.  I really don't need a htpc to upscale video since I have a vp30 to do that.  Is there anything out there that works with the server that has any sort of gui?  Any ideas would be great.

Typh92

Another thought might be to use an Al Tech MediaGate 35.  Relatively inexpensive $ 150 +/- (search eBay), plus you can add internal HD.  It is networked @ 10/100, does component, composite, s-video w/stereo or digital audio w/acceptable interface on local intranet.  May occasionally hiccup, but reads std vob, divx, mpeg 2-4 files etc.  Not bad for a "box" about size of overgrown 3.5" hard drive.  If you put drive in, becomes more/less portable to anywhere and even connects to pc via USB in addition to LAN.  Take a peek, I like it and think I'm not alone, check w/TCIII.  http://www.mediagate.co.kr/english/prod_mg35.htm

Regards,

Dave  ;D

Hi Archivist,

Yes, the Mediagate MG-35 works fine with the unRaid server to stream DVDs, music and pictures.

However, the WAF is kind of low because of having to use a file structure system instead of point and click to get to movie, picture and MP3 files. It does not bother me, but the wife does not like it and is afraid to use it.

So I have modded an XBOX with XBMC and now the wife can just point and click to her heart's content.

If you are going to be the only one using the Mediagate and do not mind finding movies by using a file structure system, then the Mediagate is a plug and play item. However, if you want nice skins and point and click capability, then XBMC or another type of media client might be better.

Regards,

TCIII

I'll be using my UnRaid with a modified XBox (for pictures, music, apple trailers, and SD video) running XBMC, and also a XBOX 360 (extender for a Media Center Server that's not really used as a media center - it's actually my kids PC), with MyMovies for High Definition video. The Xbox 360 does a great job with HD video.

The intereseting thing with HD is I'll be round-tripping the video from the UnRaid, to the Media Center server, then onto the the Xbox 360. I benchmarked it using standard fileserving (Windows) and it was fine (with 1080p video, yikes!), but it really pushes 100Mbit ethernet (about 80mb/s) I/O on the media center. I'll let you know how it works with UnRaid, but I'm sure it will be fine.

You can't beat the customization, and functionality of XBMC, IMHO. Media Center had a long, long way to go to catch up.

Also, both XBox generations make great media devices. They are small, quiet, unobtrusive in a rack, well controlled with a remote, and the AV connects (component, DD5.1 optical) are great.

musicman,

The MG-35 will play both ISO and VOB.

If you are interested in purchasing a Mediagate MG-35, I have two relatively new ones with the lastest firmware installed: version 1.4.4.

I will sell them for $100 each (plus shipping) without their hard drives which were purchased separately.

The units have been in a smoke free adult environment.

I plan to replace the Medigates with modded XBOXes running XBMC.

I was able to mod a version 1.6 XBOX with a Team Xecuter X3CE chip mod kit and install the X3 Config BIOS followed by the Evolution dashboard and finally one of the more recent XBMC builds in about four hours.

Regards,

TCIII

TCIII,

Definitely tempting, but I want to take a look at the XBMC, as well.  The thing that's limiting for MediaGate is that it's basically a file browser.  Having movies strewn across multiple drives with no type of rhyme or reason, I'd have to move a lot of files to make things more manageable under a file browser.

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking for something like the Kiss player to play Divx/Xvid files in the bedrooms (have an mce htcp in the living room).

I have two Hauppauge Media MVP networked boxes that require the file sharing software to run on the server pc.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_mediamvp.html

The client runs linux, but the server software is windows based. I guess theres no way to run this software or emulate it on the Linux based Unraid?  Screwed on that... OK

So has anyone run a Kiss player to the Unraid software?

I am not really sure of the criteria to look for in a networked dvd player. (if it will run with Unraid)

It seems to be a crapshoot if they dont list whether the player needs proprietary software to run server-side.  ???

Thanks