Trying to add a remote SMB share (Synology)

Version: 6.7.2 + Unassigned Devices plug-in

Greetings :)

I have set up the PlexPass Docker container and am now trying to make my media, which is hosted on a separate Synology NAS, visible to my Plex docker as my media is not yet stored on my array.

Using the Unassigned Devices plug-in, I am attempting to add a remote SMB share but no luck so far:

In the UD plugin, I put in the IP of my Synology and search for servers. It properly locates my server under its host name. I select that and enter both a username and password for an account that I know has the proper access rights for the share.

When pressing the 'Load Shares' button, I get a quick loading animation but no shares are listed to be selected.

I tried adding the share manually in different ways, but I can't get that to work either.
I tried things such as:
/volume1/media/
/volume1/media
/volume1/
/volume1
All allow me to add the remote share but the subsequent mounting does not work.

What am I missing here?
The share mounts with no issues on other devices.

The Synology is also configured to allow for SMB1-3 protocols, so UnRAID will try SMB3 first then the others if I am not mistaken.

Any thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I managed to get it to work.

The issue seemed to be on the Synology side somehow with my existing user. I suspect some conflict with mounting the shares both from my computer and UnRAID at the same time.

I ended up creating a new user on the Synology that I dedicate to accessing the media library.

- Create a new user

- Make sure he has the right permissions to READ the share on which your media library is stored (e.g. MEDIA)

- In UnRAID, add //DISKSTATION/MEDIA with those credentials (use the name of your Synology or its IP address)

Hope that will work for you too

Cheers

Edited by MacDingo
  • 2 years later...

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem as MacDingo had.

My system:
Unraid: 6.10.3
Synology NAS: DS215j

When I add the share with SMB, then I can create it successfully. But when I click on Mount, the ICON rotates for a moment and nothing happens after that.

I created an extra account on the NAS for this as MacDingo wrote.

I have not shared a port -> Do I need to share a port?

Does anyone have an idea?

smb.png

35 minutes ago, AceBurn90 said:

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem as MacDingo had.

My system:
Unraid: 6.10.3
Synology NAS: DS215j

When I add the share with SMB, then I can create it successfully. But when I click on Mount, the ICON rotates for a moment and nothing happens after that.

I created an extra account on the NAS for this as MacDingo wrote.

I have not shared a port -> Do I need to share a port?

Does anyone have an idea?

smb.png

Post your diagnostics.

When you tried to mount a share with SMB, there was a credentials issue:

Aug 21 13:36:54 Alent unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '//NAS/video'...
Aug 21 13:36:54 Alent unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//NAS/video' using SMB default protocol.
Aug 21 13:36:54 Alent unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t 'cifs' -o rw,noserverino,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials_video' '//NAS/video' '/mnt/remotes/NAS_video'
Aug 21 13:36:54 Alent kernel: CIFS: Attempting to mount \\NAS\video
Aug 21 13:36:54 Alent kernel: CIFS: Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Aug 21 13:36:54 Alent kernel: CIFS: VFS: \\NAS Send error in SessSetup = -13
Aug 21 13:36:54 Alent kernel: CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

Avoid special characters in names and passwords.  Letters and numbers only are the best.

When you tried to mount a share with NFS, the remote server mount was denied:

Aug 21 13:41:55 Alent unassigned.devices: Mounting Remote Share '10.10.10.10:/volume1/video'...
Aug 21 13:41:55 Alent unassigned.devices: Mount NFS command: /sbin/mount -t 'nfs' -o rw,noacl '10.10.10.10:/volume1/video' '/mnt/remotes/10.10.10.10_video'
Aug 21 13:41:55 Alent rpc.mountd[24794]: refused mount request from 10.10.10.10 for /volume1/video (/): not exported
Aug 21 13:41:55 Alent unassigned.devices: NFS mount failed: 'mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 10.10.10.10:/volume1/video '.

You need to look into the NFS requitements of the remote server.  You were mounting it with NFSv3 on Unraid.  The remote server may want NFSv4.  You can set UD to mount NFSv4 in the UD Settings.  Check that /volume1/video/ is a valid share folder.

You also ran into an issue trying to rename a mount point to "NFS-Share":

Aug 21 13:31:36 Alent unassigned.devices: Error: Device '10.10.10.10:/volume1/video' mount point 'NFS-Share' - name is reserved, used in the array or by an unassigned device.

You can't have two share/mountpoint names the same.

1 hour ago, dlandon said:

Avoid special characters in names and passwords.  Letters and numbers only are the best.

I use a password manager that generated a 100 characters long PW with many special characters.

I tried to change my password to a 40 characters long one with only small, capitalized and numbers and it still dosn't work. (Also tested it with a 20 characters  PW)

What are the restrictions from SMB protocol side (if any) to choose a password.
The username for login in m a Synology NAS is capitalized. Does this affect the login in any way?

Edited by AceBurn90

It's not a SMB issue with the characters it's the use of php by UD.  php reserved characters cause a problem.

How do you know it's a credentials problem?  Did you see the same login failure in the syslog?

Try setting the "Specify SMB Version when Mounting Remote Shares?" to "Yes" in the UD settings.  UD defaults to not specifying the SMB version to let the server set the protocol it prefers.  This doesn't always work, and the remote server may want the SMB version specified.

On your next post, please attach the diagnostics file.  Just telling me it "Doesn't work", is not very helpful unless I can see in the diagnostics why it "Doesn't work".

On 8/22/2022 at 12:15 AM, dlandon said:

It's not a SMB issue with the characters it's the use of php by UD.  php reserved characters cause a problem.

How do you know it's a credentials problem?  Did you see the same login failure in the syslog?

Try setting the "Specify SMB Version when Mounting Remote Shares?" to "Yes" in the UD settings.  UD defaults to not specifying the SMB version to let the server set the protocol it prefers.  This doesn't always work, and the remote server may want the SMB version specified.

On your next post, please attach the diagnostics file.  Just telling me it "Doesn't work", is not very helpful unless I can see in the diagnostics why it "Doesn't work".

Hey dlandon,
thanks for your help. It was the authentication after all.
I checked again in my Synology NAS and found that in the extended share, access rights must also be assigned for the folder. I thought that I had already done this. Possibly I have reset this in the past....
Sorry for this inconvenience and thanks again for your efforts.

For all of you who also have this problem.
1. Check that you give the correct permissions to the user in "Users and Groups" -> "Users".
2. If you assign the permissions via groups, you should also check in the "Groups" tab, if the group has the necessary permissions.
3. Also check that under "Shared folders" -> "The folder you want to share" -> "Permissions", also has the appropriate permissions.

• 1 year later...

Dears, I need to add information to this topic as I believe it will be found usefull by many people in similar situation that is described here. I have old synology NAS and I wanted to have its share mounted to unraid via SMB. I created user, set password with medium complexity like "Vlado9674++-", synology was happy.

I started adding new share in Unraid, selected WINDOWS, clicked Search for server, found synology, clicked on that, added user and entered password "Vlado9674++-" and was shown list of shares on synology. I selected one I needed and clicked OK. Share was added into Unraid page, but once I clicked MOUNT - I got error 

CIFS: Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

CIFS: VFS: \\SYNOLOGYMALY Send error in SessSetup = -13

CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

I was desperate and tested all things which I found around, IP address instead of name of synology machine, changing versions of samba protocol, mount points, read only etc.

And then I found sentence of DLANDON here: Avoid special characters in names and passwords.  Letters and numbers only are the best.

And you know what? When I changed synology user password from "Vlado9674++-" to "MBDo@w", suddenly it started to work.

DLANDON - please can you elaborate more on why + and - are strange characters? As they are obviously.

Many thanks  and good luck

V