'5 to 3' Disk Enclosure recommendations to easily installed in a CM 590 case?

unraided

Hi all, I'm seeking some advice in determining which is the a recommended '5 to 3' Disk Enclosure that can be easily installed in a Cooler Master Centurion 590 case, without having to modify it, ie: Bending those annoying metal tabs in between the 5.25 bays? I currently have 3x '4 to 3' Disk Enclosures installed, but seeing I'm occupying 10 disk of the 12 spaces available, I'd like to hold onto the case without having to modify it and by a new one. If in future I have to surpass the 12 disk threshold which I can current support with my setup, I guess I'll have to buy a Antec 1200 case or perhaps a Lian-Li case (probably leaning towards a Lian-Li case has they tend not to have those metal tabs). I'd be interested to look at both toolless, trayless, and tools required for disk installation on the trays.

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.   

It's a problem of geometry.  In order for a 5 in 3 to fit in a case, the outer two drives in the cage are pressed right against the outside walls of the cage.  That eliminates the possibility of putting grooves in the cage to let it slide on the tabs.  

I've pretty much moved from a 5 in 3 to a 3 in 2 mentality, because I prefer the continuous look of horizontal drive stacking and because I finally found a trayless design that I like.  In your 9 bay case you only lose 2 drives versus a 5 in 3 configuration.

@jtown: Hehehe... I was fearing that response. Thanks.

@aiden: I was guessing that would be the case (pardon the pun). I had a good look, but was yet to find anything with these slots.

In now knowing these is the case, some recommendations on some good solid build cases with do not have these metal tabs? If I need to get more disk, looks like I need to get another case. Thanks.

If you do the measurements, you'll find that there's just enough room to add 1-1.5mm slots on each side of a 5-in-3 while still leaving 3-4mm gaps for airflow between the drives.  Unfortunately, while 1mm slots would work for this particular case, some manufacturers go a bit overboard and use big, honkin' tabs.

3.5" drive = 25mm high.  5.25" bay = 145mm wide.  That's 20mm to play with for air channels, slots, and structural material on the sides.  Slots could be worked in but they'd be shallow and the tolerances for the bays would be very tight.

Archived