Replacing an old QNAP, Unraid is much slower with file share

maxwell

I've been working to replace an older QNAP setup with a 24 core dell server. These two machines are on the same network, but the Unraid setup is muuuuuch slower than the QNAP one for file sharing, tested with SMB NFS and AFP. I've tested the Unraid server and I can transfer data to and from it at full 1Gbps speed. However filesharing is essentially useless. I've made a boring video showing speed differences, on the left is UNRAID on the right is QNAP. Running 6.8.0-rc3

Does anyone know why filesharing would be this slow?

https://youtu.be/mt5xBrqScmA

32 minutes ago, Squid said:

Installing dynamix cache dirs will help the situation.  But another thing to be aware of, is that (presumably) your QNAP keeps all drives spinning all the time (since it's a RAID).  unRaid however can spin down drives which will slow the browsing down.

32 minutes ago, Squid said:

Installing dynamix cache dirs will help the situation.  But another thing to be aware of, is that (presumably) your QNAP keeps all drives spinning all the time (since it's a RAID).  unRaid however can spin down drives which will slow the browsing down.

Thanks. I have cache directories installed, also I made sure that the drives werent spinning down. The macos interoperability did the trick for me.