Is there a way to schedule unraid to spin up drives at a certain time every day

I would like to have all drives spin up around 22:20 or 22:25 - five minutes prior to scheduled mover to troubleshoot a problem versus just leaving drives spun up 24x7.  Is there a way to do this?  How big of a deal is it to leave drives spun up 24x7?  Assume its not a good thing from power and drive failure point of view?

On 11/14/2019 at 5:47 PM, itimpi said:

Leaving drives spun up 24x7 will have an impact on power, but anecdotally it reduces the chance of disk failure as the spin up/down process is one of the more demanding processes on a drive.

Thats a myth - i use spindown since almost 10(!) years and no drive ever failed mechanicaly.

Edited by Zonediver
On 11/14/2019 at 5:35 PM, FrozenGamer said:

I would like to have all drives spin up around 22:20 or 22:25 - five minutes prior to scheduled mover to troubleshoot a problem versus just leaving drives spun up 24x7.  Is there a way to do this?  How big of a deal is it to leave drives spun up 24x7?  Assume its not a good thing from power and drive failure point of view?

Try this - maybe it works

Put it into a file and create a cronjob.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Your sample size is WAY too small to make a declarative statement like that.

The WD-Red's have a LCC of 600.000 - my oldest disk is 4 years and 7 months old and has a LCC of 10.518 - far away from 600.000...

So spinning down the disks is absolutely not critical.

Edited by Zonediver