start over from zero

leonardibook

hi 

i'm a computer noob 

i wanted to create a home server and cloud (nextcloud) plus home automation server (hassio) on unraid 

i came to that solution after my hard drive on my ubuntu server went down 

i installed unraid 

set up every thing (was kind of working ) until i coudn't use mariadb nextcloud and letsencrypt anymore ( everything went looping an no more access)

the question is : should i try to repair somehow the dockers or should i start over ?

second question is : how to start over with the licence i have and the same hardware (dont mind data loss i have everything backup on my pc)

if someone has any idea it would be welcome

thanks 

leonardibook

ps sorry for my very bad english, i am french.

Hi 

I don't understand then. How can I do a cloud service without my server being accessible from internet ? 

Is there other options available ? 

The idea is a home local storage for all of my data. And a cloud accessibility from all around the world. (nextcloud or other) for the same data (cloud meaning a file constantly updated on all of my devices).  An a local instance of home automation accessible through Alexa and Google  

Respectfully

Leonardibook

hi jonathanm .  

i was about to thanks trurl about what he told me , and thanks to you about the more precise clue.

i looked arournd on my network ( bbox router , from bouygues telecom (france) ) and found my error (i guess) . i did correctly (i hope ) configure the port forwarding , however there was an option that i activated by mistake (called dmz) that seemed to transfer ALL the ports to my server.

so i looked the server log before and after deactivating it, and indeed, the russians connections attempts stopped (like all the others) .

so i guess that problem is solved . i learned something about port forwarding today.

now what about the looping problem ? i tried supress and reinstall of the nextcloud, letsencrypt and mariadb , but the looping is still there.

i cheked the unraid Starting Over page , but i'm still lost . could you confirm? : i should erase and flash the same usb key , transfert the .key ,the config/super.dat and the config/disk.cfg files to it , and my system should keep the raid data but not the docker files . is that right?

thanks again for your help 

being a noob isn't always easy

respectfully 

leonardibook

Just noticed your syslog says you have an unclean shutdown and the resulting parity check is underway. Did you reboot from the webUI? You must always reboot or shutdown from the webUI. Unless Unraid can stop the array before power is removed or reboot, you will get a parity check. Unraid records the stop/start status of the array on flash, so it is also possible this has been caused by some problem that prevented Unraid writing the status to flash.

So, did you reboot/shutdown from the webUI, or did you just use the reset/power switch?

Your appdata and system shares have some files on the array instead of cache. This will cause dockers (and VMs) to keep array disks spinning and will also impact their performance due to parity. Ideally these shares should be completely on cache and stay there.

Do you have any VMs?

1. Go to Settings - Docker, disable and delete docker image.
  2. Set appdata share to cache-prefer and run mover. When it completes go to Shares - User Shares and click Compute All. Wait for the result. What you want is to see that appdata and system shares have all of their contents on cache and none on any array disk.
  3. Set appdata and system share to cache-only.
  4. Go to Settings - Docker, enable to recreate docker image on cache where it belongs. Then Apps - Previous Apps will install your docker just as they were.

Hi  

I did indeed shut down the wrong way. Because after the last cleen shut down I wasn't able to connect to the server to get the zip.  I found out that I had DHCP ip that changed in between. I just set a static one on my rooter.  I'm away for four days. Back on Tuesday. Then I'll try everything you can propose. 

I don't have a VM ( I don't know how to install it or use it yet. You may help me with that in time on another topic ) 

I did set to cache only but just understood right know that you told me about uninstalling docker and not the different docker dependencies . I'll do that as soon as I'm back. 

Thanks again. HAve a good we 

Respectfully 

Leonardibook