AMD RX 5700XT Passthrough Windows 10 VM NAVI Bug

Mihael

Hi there

I wanted to create a gaming vm and I bought the Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse on a BlackFriday deal. Unfortunately, I found this video only after I had the same problems ->

I read in the web that the problem has been fixed but unfortunately I can not find decent instructions how to apply this fix to Unraid.

Had someone already dealt with this?

I have to mention that I run the Radeon in the first PCIE slot and a Nividia P2000 in the second slot which is used for Plex Docker.

Do I need a third GPU for Unraid itself?  It's confusing, I read in many places that users have a GPU just for Unraid.

My setup:

Ryzen 3700x

Asus ROG Strix x570-e

Nvidia P2000

Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse

Thanks!

Edited by Mihael
  • Like 1

I remember there was a patch but it was proven to be unreliable so it was removed in the subsequent rc.

If there's a new patch coming then LT is usually good with at least try including it in the next minor version.

@Mihael: You don't NEED a GPU for Unraid. It's just that NOT booting Unraid on a to-be-passed-through GPU reduces the chance of problems.

That's why I only picked motherboards that (a) have integrated GPU (mostly server boards) or (b) supports iGPU (if CPU supports it) or (c) allows users to pick any PCIe slot are primary GPU to boot with (usually Gigabyte).

1 hour ago, testdasi said:

I remember there was a patch but it was proven to be unreliable so it was removed in the subsequent rc.

If there's a new patch coming then LT is usually good with at least try including it in the next minor version.

@Mihael: You don't NEED a GPU for Unraid. It's just that NOT booting Unraid on a to-be-passed-through GPU reduces the chance of problems.

That's why I only picked motherboards that (a) have integrated GPU (mostly server boards) or (b) supports iGPU (if CPU supports it) or (c) allows users to pick any PCIe slot are primary GPU to boot with (usually Gigabyte).

Thanks testdasi. It's a bit confusing when I see a Displayport on my mainboard. Asus ROG Strix 570-E with Amd Ryzen 3700x... not sure if I have a GPU support now.

Anyway I sold my 5700XT and bought a Nvidia 2070 for a good price, it worked perfectly in the beginning but after a "force shutdown" I can't run it anymore... I posted the problem here ->

It's so disappointing when you watch those youtube videos of Linus & co how they build two gaming VMs on Unraid with two GPUs 2-3 years ago, and I can't make it run in 2019