Assign docker to physical Nic

astarock

Hi people, I'm new to this forum as well as Unraid. Still on the trial period but been playing whit it for 16 days by now. I'm planing to run the thing as as NAS, Plex media server, and some virtual machines. I'm used to Vmware ESXI but I'm at loss here. See, the Unraid is running barebone on a Dell Poweredge R720, with have a onboard 4 port ethernet card and I wish to use it as;

-eth0 = Access Unraid Os as well as file transfer.

-eth1 = Plex Docker.

-eth2 = No use for it right now. Surely a Windows virtual machine in a not so distant future.

-eth3 = No use for it right now. 

I want to put the attention to Plex on port eth1.

eth0 = Have is own Mac address, own IP address 10.0.1.122 /24, with gateway 10.X.X.X.

eth1 = Have is own Mac address, own IP address 10.0.1.124 /24, with gateway 10.X.X.X.(same gateway at eth0).

After reading for countless hours, trying bridging eth1, vlan eth1, playing with docker custom network still no uses, I'm still not able to make plex work without selecting "Host" in plex network type. Surely I'm doing something wrong and quite frankly, I am no master in networking. I was able to create vlans on my apple xserve ESXI machine by trying hard but this time I'm completely at a loss.

There is the option of running 2 ports in link aggregation but for personal reasons, I prefer using isolated ports.

So I really need some help here please. This is the last step I need to master before buying the complete Unraid licence.

Thanks!

Do the following network configurations (see Settings -> Network Settings)

Eth0 - bond = No, bridge = Yes (single member eth0), static IP address = 10.0.1.122 /24, gateway = 10.X.X.X

Eth1 - bond = No, bridge = Yes (single member eth1), IP address = NONE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Docker configuration (see Settings -> Docker)

BR0 - uncheck

BR1 - Subnet = 10.0.1.0 /24, gateway = 10.X.X.X, DHCP pool = 10.0.1.128 /25 (assuming this does not conflict with the DHCP range of your router)

When you configure the Plex container, choose "Custom br1" as network and give the container the static address 10.0.1.124

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...

This is late for the OP, but may be useful for anyone else with the same problem.  For whatever reason, when using the binhex-plex server, possibly other dockers as well, the webUI option doesn't appear on the menu when the docker is running on a different IP from the UnRaid interface.  Following Craftsman's instructions above will work just fine, however the menu option will still not appear.  You simply need to type the IP of the plex server and the 32400 port of Plex into the address bar of your browser, for example if the plex server is set to use 10.0.1.124 as in the example posted above,  type "  10.0.1.124:32400  "  in the address bar of your browser to access Plex's WebUI.  

In my case I run my UnRaid server on a 4 port LAGG at 192.168.50.2  and my plex server on a 2 port LAGG on 192.168.50.5.  To access the webUI  192.168.50.5:32400  will get me there, but the option does not appear on the docker container in UnRaid's WebUI.  Have two four port NICs plus two more ports on my motherboard (10 ports total).  While everything else works fine on the four port NICs, for whatever reason Plex runs super slow through them so I use the two onboard ports dedicated for Plex. Likely just need to get some Intel NICs in there, but low priority with everything else working just fine. 

On 12/14/2019 at 2:19 PM, astarock said:

Hi binienl. I did exactly as you described and saved. Plex docker is starting but when click ont the Plex icon to pop up the web gui below console, there is no web gui to select?

yes binhex container wont show webgui link since unRAID 6.7.4 i have personally spoken to Binhex here and on the github link and he says support for using custom is not built in...it works still access the webgui via the IP:32400 and you will get in

I have found linuxservers Plex works fine when using br0 as does the official container but i prefer the binhex/arch-plexpass container myself.

to fix the need for an ip in my browser I added a fqdn to my Pi-Holes lan.list file in /etc/pihole

made mine like this

10.0.1.124      myplex.mydomain.ca    myplex

now i can ping myplex and get a reply and bring the gui up by typing myplex.mydomain.ca:32400

48 minutes ago, JohnGaltLine said:

This is late for the OP, but may be useful for anyone else with the same problem.  For whatever reason, when using the binhex-plex server, possibly other dockers as well, the webUI option doesn't appear on the menu when the docker is running on a different IP from the UnRaid interface.  Following Craftsman's instructions above will work just fine, however the menu option will still not appear.  You simply need to type the IP of the plex server and the 32400 port of Plex into the address bar of your browser, for example if the plex server is set to use 10.0.1.124 as in the example posted above,  type "  10.0.1.124:32400  "  in the address bar of your browser to access Plex's WebUI.  

I noticed using br0 that the webgui in the contextual stopped working on unRAID 6.7.4 binhex doesnt want to find and fix what ever changed since then back when i noticed it i back dated and the option was there again. updated and its gone again something changed in unRAID in 6.74 that conflicts or errors out, something other plex dockers dont seem to have a problem with

Edited by Can0nfan
  • 2 years later...

Hey this problem still exists in a different way on binhex-delugevpn.  There is no way to get to the WebGUI even typing it in directly.  The only possibility I have found is to use deluge running (in my case on Windows 10) as a thin client.  Anyone have any ideas?

Also bonienl, thanks for your help as always.  I had everything working well, but what I did was not quite technically correct.  Your guidance stopped the errors in Fix Common Problems :)

In my case, I have one 10Gb connection for unRAID server and another 10Gb connection for my Win10 VM, deluge, and binhex-nzbget.  It's working nicely because I have 2.5Gb internet service and my switches only support 1Gb and 10Gb, but my router has a 5Gb WAN and one 5Gb LAN, so I can hook the 5Gb LAN directly to unRAID now and have it for downloading torrents and nzb files and for my VM's.  Another 1Gb ethernet port connects my router to my switch.

Interestingly, the binhex-nzbget WebGUI works fine even though it is on br1 along with binhex-delugevpn.  What's up with that?1?

craigr

Edited by craigr
clarity