Would this be power efficient? (AMD Athlon 3000G, MSI B450-A Pro Max, G.Skill Ripsjaw V)

Noego

Hi!

I am considering to build my own (very first) UNRAID NAS, which also should be able to rip DVD's through MakeMKV and HandBreak, and then use Plex for watching them. I have NEVER touched anything NAS system before, and have never tried UNRAID, but for what I can read it seems to fit me the best. My first thought was a Synology DS218+, but I think the UNRAID setup with the more power and expandability will suit me way better. 

The system I am thinking about to use is this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xCWmCL

With the thoughts of upgrading to 32gb memory at some point - if needed.

My thoughts is to do it as 1 storage drive, 1 parity drive and the SSD for cache. And then I will add more drives later, when needed. 

At the moment I would need to buy motherboard, memory, CPU and hard drives. I have the other parts already. 

But I am a bit in doubt how power efficient this will be?

I have heard that the AMD Athlon 3000G uses a lot of power compared to other CPUs?

What should I consider when I want a power efficient machine? Or should I just knock the idea of power efficiency out of my head?

Best regards

Noego

Edited by Noego
25 minutes ago, Noego said:

I just knock the idea of power efficiency out of my head?

Yes, if you compare the power usage with those ATOM grade NAS.

Different people have different need or plan. Mine won't 7x24, only a Qnap ATOM NAS will 7x24 and doing the light job.

Edited by Benson

It depends on your budget.

You can make an extremely power efficient rig (relatively) by replacing all the HDD with SSD, use 80+ Titanium PSU etc.

In terms of running cost, an extra 100W (that's overclocked idling sort of draw) is probably about an extra $10/month or so - if you can't afford that then you might want to reduce your PC budget.

Otherwise, just forget it and stick to what actually fits your needs.

Current gen CPUs, GPUS, and HDDs are actually (relatively) very power efficient already.

It is generally more detrimental to your power efficiency if you overclock (i.e. if you actually do something on purpose that reduces the efficiency).

Promoting a clean source of energy is better for the Earth than trying to shave 30W off your usage.

Edited by testdasi
1 hour ago, Noego said:

Does that mean you turn it on/off when ever you need it?

Yes, if watch a movie, power on for less then 2 hrs. If doing monthly health check or backup then power on ~24hrs, really don't need 7x24. Besides power usage concern, dust / air conditioning need in summer / long run wear out .... also need consider.

And I could build it in what I want, btw my one use about 180w in idle.

Edited by Benson
1 hour ago, Noego said:

does that work perfectly? I think about the load on the USB flash drive? 

On and off no problem ( of course have several unsuccess boot up record ). My USB stick still the same since day 1 with Unraid in past 3+ years.

Edited by Benson