Number of CRC Errors, when to RMA?

TyantA

So I ran Preclear on the 6TB HGST Deskstar that had amassed 835 CRC errors and the Current Pending Sector went from 0 to 8. I had just set the drive on top of my server for the preclear and at one point noticed temps up to 39 degrees C despite ambient being around 19. I don't believe my 8TB drive got anywhere near that.  

I now have to decide if I'm going to re-introduce this drive into the array, replacing a smaller disk or not. The drive currently has 1yr 10mo power on time. 

Edited by TyantA
6 minutes ago, TyantA said:

and the Current Pending Sector went from 0 to 8.

Unlike CRC errors this is a disk problem.

7 minutes ago, TyantA said:

I had just set the drive on top of my server for the preclear and at one point noticed temps up to 39 degrees C despite ambient being around 19.

Perfectly normal without a fan on it, but still a normal safe operating temperature.

So... I set it up to do 2 more preclear cycles... and it failed on the first cycle after 22 hours on step 5: 

Post-Read failed - Aborted

Preclear log attached. Smart status hasn't changed though, so I'm not sure what that means for this drive. This was on a new(er) cable attached directly to the motherboard. Early this morning I put a room fan on it which brought the temp closer to what it would be inside the case. 

Edit: I just checked and (thankfully) the drive is still under warranty until September 29th of this year. 

preclear_disk_K1JV2P5D_32208.txt

Edited by TyantA

Personally, at this point I would RMA it.  I have RMA drives a few years back (when warranties were longer) and never was never questioned as to why.  In fact, the replacement drives were usually shipped within a few hours of receipt.  If you think about it. RMA'ing a drive is not a simple procedure.  It involves considerable effort on the part of the customer and potentially a lose of data.  He is probably not happy at this point.  Why would a manufacturer risk a case of bad customer relations if their returns department can't find a problem.  In their shoes, I would just eat the cost and charge it to customer good will.  But I would flag the customer to make sure he isn't a repeat offender. 

Fair point. If I'm not mistaken, this is marketed as a "NAS" drive too, I paid $200 CAD + tax about 2 years ago for it; I'd certainly expect a longer lifespan than that. 

I do want to RMA it, I guess the only question is, do I do it now, while it's out of my system or later - before the warranty's up. The latter is obviously riskier as I could forget or the drive could completely fail before then in which case I could lose data should another go before I can get a replacement at a decent price. 

The benefit, of course, would be potentially getting more life (~1/2 year) out of the current one and in turn less wear on the replacement. I don't really think it's worth it though.

Edit: curious though how it seems to have aborted due to an i/o error: 

Feb 11 15:35:23 preclear_disk_K1JV2P5D_32208: Post-Read: dd output: dd: error reading '/dev/sdh': Input/output error

Edited by TyantA