rebuilding my server

Newtious

so im new to unraid and dockers and am going to need some help.

i currently have 6 drives in an array
150gb - once had all my dockers on it and now does not.
150gb - unused
150gb - unused

150gb - unused

150gb - unused
8tb - has all my movies on it and for some reason now has all my docker game servers saved here also

I picked up 2 more 8tb drives on boxing day and want to pick up a M2 ssd to plug in as a cache drive..  here is how i want it to look and work

150gb - game servers

150gb - spare (possible game servers that i rent out to friends)

150gb - spare

8tb - spare

8tb - movie/tv shows drive set up as smb share for my house to access movies (limited to this drive or this and the spare 8tb drive)

8tb - pairity drive

500gb cache -card has a m.2 slot

so..   how do i rebuild this without loosing my movies that are saved on that one drive?

how do i get it set up again so that my movies stay on the movie drive and dont get spread out all over the place or fill from the first drive down..

anyone see any issues im going to run into?

how do i get my game servers to stay on the first drive

and how can i install multiples of the same game server docker and have it save to another drive?

my hardware is 
poweredge 2950
2U rack case with 6 3.5" bays (why the 6 drives)
dual xeon X5450 @3.0GHz 

Edited by Newtious

You indicate that you're new to Unraid, so I'm going to assume that your 8TB drive with all your movies & TV shows (I'll refer to it as "data") is not from a previous Unraid installation.

Write down the last four (4) characters of ALL your drives. Label a piece of paper exactly as you have them spelled out above and identify each drive by these last 4 characters. This is how Unraid recognizes disks and how you'll want to recognize them within the WebGUI. You can write down the full serial number, but the last 4 should be sufficient. For ease, I also use a label maker to make a label with the last-4 of each drive and physically put that sticker on the drive where it can easily be read with the case open (or, if you've got hot-swap bays, where each can be read when the appropriate door is opened).

No, really, knowing your serial numbers is important. Make yourself a nice little spreadsheet (don't forget to save it), or put it on a post-it note, or tattoo them on the back of your hand. This will be critical to preventing data loss as you move on to the next steps.

1) Get your Unraid server up and running with all the drives physically installed.

2) Assign the 8TB spare as the 1 and only data drive assigned to the array (remember where you wrote down serial numbers? Use them here).

-- In the next step, Unraid will wipe this drive. 

-- Quadruple check you serial numbers now. Go on, we'll wait. One wrong click and Unraid will merrily wipe your data. Yes, this is the time to be paranoid!

-- You don't want to have Unraid wipe your 8TB of data! Wiping your precious data is on you - make sure you get those serial numbers right!!!!

-- Do not assign a parity drive yet.

3) Start the array and allow Unraid to clear the data drive then format it

4) Install Community Apps (Do this no matter what you're using your server for, it's the equivalent of the Apple App Store or Google Play - invaluable).

5) Install the Unassigned Devices (UD) plugin.

6) In UD, mount your "data" disk as a device. (Again, refer to your list of serial numbers to make sure you've got the right drive) Just ignore all the 150s and the 500 for now.

7) Copy all the data from the UD mounted disk to the Unraid data disk. (Do not move the data - you want 2 copies of it at this point, just to be sure)

-- You can use Midnight Commander (MC) from a terminal session, you can map from a Win or Mac machine, you can install the Krusader docker, lots of options here

8 ) Double, triple check that your Movies and TV shows are good to go. Pick a few random ones here and there and start them up, whatever it takes to make you comfortable that they're all copied successfully

9) Stop the array

10) Assign the 8TB parity disk to the parity slot in your array, assign all the 150GB drives as additional data drives, assign 500GB drive as cache.

-- At this point, if you're 100% that your Movies and TV shows are good, you can assign the 8TB drive as a data drive in the array as well. If you're not 100% confident just yet, leave it out for a couple of days. You can add it, wipe it and rebuild parity later.

-- Note: It's unclear to me if you have all your games on one of the 150GB drives at this point or not, and exactly how you're planning on having this in the array.

-- If the data is on one of the 150GB drives, do NOT assign that one to the array YOU WILL LOSE YOUR GAMES. Assign it via UD so you can get access to it for now.

-- You remember where you wrote down all those serial numbers? Quadruple check them now. Go on, we'll wait some more. One wrong click and Unraid will merrily wipe your data. Yes, this is another time to be paranoid!

11) Format the newly added drives, start the array and wait for Unraid to build parity.

-- Note: building parity at the end saves a fair bit of time. Writing to the un-parity-protected array is much faster. Building parity takes the same amount of time whether there's data in the array or all the drives are all zeros. 

At this point, all your data is on the server and you'll need to sort out your shares. I'd suggest one share for Movies and one for TV. I'm not sure what you're using to play them back, but point whatever it is at \\Tower\Movies or \\Tower\TV (adjust names to suit your needs) and enjoy!

I'm not sure how your game servers are set up or what may be involved in renting those out to friends, so maybe if you can provide a bit more detail on what you have in mind for that, someone else will be able to help you out in that department.

Edited by FreeMan
  • 1 month later...

I never remembered to thank you.. but this helped a lot!      

as far as the game servers go..   i just rented them out to good friends..  thankfully trustworthy friends cause they ended up with full access to my server LOL..     so now im looking for something that allows me to narrow down user access to folders..  

do you know if there is a way to create user accounts that have limited access to just specific dockers?   id like to be able to give my friends limited access to stop, start and restart gave server dockers without giving away full access and praying they dont "accidentally" click shut down on the main thing LOL..    with limited access only giving them the ability to FTP into the specific folder with their game server files would be sweet too...