We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Disk Errors and Other Problems Help!

Ok so I haven't messed with my Unraid for years as it works just fine, but I ran a check while I was out of town and it came up with zero errors.

So I ended up updating my unraid from v6.something. to the latest v6.8.0. a couple days ago. I also added docker community apps, unallocated drives, binhex-krusader and pre-clear. I've used Krusder with no problem. After updating the OS I enabled pop up messages, which I don't think i had enabled before, so maybe all this  has been happening for a while and I didn't know it.

After updating and enabling messages I got the following:

unRAID Disk 1 SMART health [199]: *Current Date and Time

Warning [TOWER] - udma crc error count is 10

*HDD Serial and Model (sde)

unRAID Disk 6 SMART health [5]: *Current Date and Time

Warning [TOWER] - reallocated sector ct is 155

*HDD Serial and Model (sdc)

unRAID Disk 6 SMART health [187]: *Current Date and Time

Warning [TOWER] - reported uncorrect is 544

*HDD Serial and Model (sdc)

unRAID Disk 7 SMART health [187]: *Current Date and Time

Warning [TOWER] - reported uncorrect is 6

*HDD Serial and Model (sdb)

unRAID Disk 8 SMART health [5]: *Current Date and Time

Warning [TOWER] - reallocated sector ct is 105

*HDD Serial and Model (sdg)

Now today disk 8 looks to have failed, red X, and when I look at tool > syslog I see many hard drives have read errors.

See attached zips. So since I got those disk errors a few days ago I have some new hard drives coming and I'm going to rebuild my entire system and get rid of the old smaller drives.

My question right now is, what should I do to preserve my data? Meaning what is the problem with disk 8 and what should I do about that right now?

Could updating to v6.8 be a problem?

I'd love some advise. Thanks.

tower-diagnostics-20200106-1402.zip tower-smart-20200106-1404.zip

Those are all SMART warnings for your disks, so no, updating to 6.8 did not cause them but apparently it made you aware of them and they have probably been that way for a while.

You should setup Notifications to alert you immediately by email or other agent as soon as a problem is detected.

No SMART report for disk 8 in your diagnostics and the SMART you attached separately also has no information.

I would just shut it down and wait until you are ready to replace disk8 and hope for the best when trying to rebuild with so many other questionable disks.

OK so got the new drive in and I clicked start array and rebuild drive. Now it gave me a disk warning in yellow for that new disk 8 saying "Unraid Disk 8 Error, Disk 8, drive not ready, content being reconstructed"

I assume that's normal and it's not really a disk error, just that it's rebuilding a drive?

Also, should I go ahead and pre-clear other drives I'm going to use to replace other bad HDD now? or wait until Disk 8 is rebuilt?