constant crashing

bdee1

I have been experiencing crashing at least once per day for a few months now.  Haven't had the chance to post until now.  I just use my server for file storage and plex mostly.   SO i usually notice something is wrong when i try to connect to plex and see that my library is offline.   Then i try to connect to the web interface of my server in a browser and it is unresponsive.

the only thing I can do is to do a hard reboot.

I have attached the system log.  Can anyone provide some insights as to what might be going on?

Edited by bdee1

Nothing obvious except most of your disks are still ReiserFS and your docker image is twice as large as necessary.

Can you ping your server when it "crashes"?

Do you have an attached monitor and keyboard?

Have you done memtest?

Setup Syslog Server so you can save the syslog from before the crash and post it next time it happens.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=781601

thanks for the assistance!   I have enabled syslog server to see if can keep a history of the log files when it crashes.  thats an awesome feature!!  I'll see whgat that reveals.

I have not tried pinging the server when it crashes.  it is unreachable via a web browser but i have not tried to ping it.

I have not done a memtest lately.

I do not have a keyboard and monitor attached generally but I can find one and attach it next time it happens too.

I have had my server for a very long time.   what is the disadvantage to using ReiserFS, and how can i switch?

how could I change my docker image?  where do I find that?

thanks again for all your help!

9 minutes ago, bdee1 said:

I have had my server for a very long time.   what is the disadvantage to using ReiserFS, and how can i switch?

how could I change my docker image?  where do I find that?

ReiserFS isn't recommended anymore and its future is uncertain:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

There isn't really any way to convert, you have to format the disks to another filesystem, usually XFS for the array and btrfs for cache. Since the format will leave the disks empty, their contents have to be copied elsewhere first.

Don't worry about any of that for now. And you might consider a cache disk so your dockers can live there instead of on the array, where they will perform worse due to slower parity writes, and they will keep parity and array disk(s) spinning. If you want to do that then would be the time to reconfigure your docker image and the shares your dockers use.

thanks for the additional info!

so i took a look at my syslog (attached) this morning and it looks like there may have ben a power issue with my UPS.

I will keep monitoring to see if it happens again or if this was just a fluke.

however, a few days ago i had installed user scripts plugin to do a daily scheduled reboot.   I have since uninstalled it, but i noticed in my log files, tons of entries saying:

Jan 7 21:17:45 StorageTower root: error: /plugins/user.scripts/exec.php: wrong csrf_token

any idea what that is or why that might be happening?

also - i know my UPS is fairly old (Back-UPS RS 1500 LCD) but I replaces the batteries last year so I'm not sure why it would be failing.

if I ned to replace my UPS, any recommendations for a decent one?

syslog-192.168.0.2.log