SOLVED: Corrupt USB - out of date offline backup

Grrrreg

Hi,

My USB died, corrupt and showing read only mode in Windows when trying to run a chkdsk.   The last offline backup I can find is from 12/19/2019, and I have since added drives to the array.   

Suggestions on next steps?   Any and all help greatly  appreciated.

22 drive array, 2 parity disks, 1 SSD cache drive

P.S.  I had planned on setting up automated offline backs for it this weekend.  C'est la vie.

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by Grrrreg
Providing additional information

If you are not sure what drive belongs where in the array then the technique is:

•  Assign all drives as data drives
  • Start the array
  • Ideally all the genuine data drives will mount fine and 2 drives (the parity drives) will show as unmountable.  make a note of the serial numbers of the parity drives.   If this is not the case stop and ask for help giving details of what happened.
  • Stop the array
  • Go to Tools >>> New Config.   Select the option to retain current assignments (as it reduces the chance of error).  Click the yes I want to do this and then apply.
    • Go back to the main tab and correct the assignments of the parity drives.  Double check you have the right drives as the parity drives as assigning a data drive to parity will lose its contents.  You can move any other drives around at this stage as well.
  • Start the array and the system will start building parity based on the current assignments.

All your User Shares will re-appear (as they are simply the aggregation of the top level folders on each drive) but with default settings so you may need to re-apply any customisation you want.   

You can now go any other customisation that is appropriate and add any plugins you normally use.

At this point I would recommend clicking on the flash drive on the Main tab and selecting the option to download a backup of the flash drive.  It is always good practice to do this any time you make a significant change until/if you have an automated solution.