Crashes

It doesn't happen often, but I'm wondering if my system is under-powered for what I'm doing. I'm running the lates Unraid on a Core i5-3450 @ 3.10GHz w/ 8GB RAM. The dockers I have 15 docker containers running: sabnzbd, bitwarden, collabora, mineos, 7DaystoDie, delugevpn, lidarr, plex, radarr, sonarr, duckdns, mariadb, letsencrypt, nextcloudm and tautulli. Generally speaking, it's all very stable and runs well, however on occasion certain dockers (i.e. Plex) will become unresponsive and when I try to access Unraid it's very sluggish and the only way to fix the problem is to do a reboot of the system. Plex, at most and rarely, is transcoding 2 streams and it's usually doing direct playback locally. Everything is 1080p or lower.

Is my system too old/slow to be running this many containers? Any ideas on how to stabilize it? If it requires a reboot now and again, is there a way to auto reboot the system on a schedule?

22 minutes ago, thunderclap said:

Is my system too old/slow to be running this many containers? Any ideas on how to stabilize it? If it requires a reboot now and again, is there a way to auto reboot the system on a schedule?

You should post your diagnostics (Tools --> Diagnostics) so more details about your system configuration and resources are available to those who wish to offer an opinion. 

Often (but not always), a system becoming "sluggish" and then being fixed by a reboot is a sign that you have run out of RAM.  For that many docker containers and the type of containers they are, if several are actively doing their thing at once, your 8GB RAM could be getting a workout.

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

You should post your diagnostics (Tools --> Diagnostics) so more details about your system configuration and resources are available to those who wish to offer an opinion. 

Often (but not always), a system becoming "sluggish" and then being fixed by a reboot is a sign that you have run out of RAM.  For that many docker containers and the type of containers they are, if several are actively doing their thing at once, your 8GB RAM could be getting a workout.

I've attached my diagnostics. Is there a way to see the log of what caused the problem? Since the system rebooted I can only see the log after the reboot.

unraid-diagnostics-20200128-1206.zip

3 minutes ago, thunderclap said:

Is there a way to see the log of what caused the problem?

Setup the Syslog Server (Tools -->  Syslog Server).  Not a guarantee it will show the cause of the problem, but, you'll get a lot more information than in the syslog after a reboot.

In my case I have the "Remote" syslog server set to the IP address of my unRAID server and I am sending the syslog to the appdata folder on my cache drive.  It's an SSD so writing the Syslog does not keep any array drives spun up. 

You can also mirror to your flash drive if you wish so you always have an accessible copy should the server not boot/array not start due to problems.  This should be set to No unless troubleshooting to avoid lots of writes to the flash drive.

image.thumb.png.1bae375ab4a2c7c9b58add6b2b3c54f2.png

• Thanks 1