Cliff

Budget Ryzen 3900X Build

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am planning on building a 3900X system as cheap as possible. I have an old game-pc with an i7 2600K cpu and 1060GTX GPU that I want to replace with a virtual Windows 10 machine.

I will be using the Win10 VM for general work and casual gaming.

I also would like to run some more VM's for testing.

10-15 containers like plex, pi-hole, rutorrent, vscode...

Do I have reason not to go with a B450 motherboard? I will not do any high end gaming or similar. Do you have any other suggestions regarding my choice of components?

Components

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X with stock cooler

Motherboard: Some cheap B450 motherboard like: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming or similar.

RAM: Some cheap 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 (And am planning to upgrade to 64GB in the future)

M.2 SSD: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 SSD 1TB

PSU: Fractal Design Edison M 750W (Gold)

Storage HDD:  1 x 8TB (Seagate Exos 7E8 ST8000NM0055 256MB 8TB) and planning to buy a few more in the future.

Enclosure: Unknown 

GPU: GTX 1060 (Already owned)

4 hours ago, Cliff said:

I am planning on building a 3900X system as cheap as possible. I have an old game-pc with an i7 2600K cpu and 1060GTX GPU that I want to replace with a virtual Windows 10 machine.

I did a very similar setup. 3900X 32 GB DDR4 & Gigabyte B450 Aorus PRO WiFi, 1070. I wish I had gone for a 570 board for the extra PCIe lanes. If you can go that route.

4 hours ago, Cliff said:

I will be using the Win10 VM for general work and casual gaming.

I also would like to run some more VM's for testing.

10-15 containers like plex, pi-hole, rutorrent, vscode...

This will work, however there is a few things that held me back.

First isolate the CPU cores you want to assign to the Win10 VM. This is a must, alas these cores are then not able to be used by anything else.

I run 3 other VMs besides a 6 core 12 thread VM for gaming. I also isolated the cores for these other VMs, but allow them to share as these VMs are not that busy.

Even doing that I was getting a lot of studders and tracked it down to my dockers hitting the same core that unRaid was running my emulator for the VMs on (core 0 I think). So I forced all of my dockers to use the same 4 cores 8 threads. This was required in my case to get rid of the studders. I also notice that when PLEX does a library scan it really crushes unraid on core 0/12. I plan to in the future move the emulator pin to a different core, but have not done that yet.

This is a lot of work to get a stable gaming performance, but at the moment I'm getting similar performance to my old gaming box (2600X 1070) in the VM. Maybe a shade better.

4 hours ago, Cliff said:

Do I have reason not to go with a B450 motherboard? I will not do any high end gaming or similar. Do you have any other suggestions regarding my choice of components?

More PCIe lanes. I think it is 4 more. Does not seem like a lot, but it is. Right now I'm considering an upgrade to a x570 board so that I don't bandwidth constrain my PCIe H310. Right now if I only have my 1 graphics card in the X16 slot, and have my H310 in the other slot I'm okish. But as soon as I put a usb PCIe card, or a dual GB nic in either of the other two slots the 2nd PCIe slot drops from 4X to 2X PCIe. and that really hurts array performance. However I kind of need the USB PCIe card for the VM, so I put it in when I'm not doing a parity check, and take it out if I can when I do.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

For your windows VM are you stubbing out a hard drive and being able to run it bare metal like spacedinvader or do you have it running off an SSD or something?

Also not to troll but I guess I expected the 3900 to be able to surpass the 2600. I guess there is that much VM overhead or did you just configure it to be equal. I know the 2600K is still somewhat relevant. I’m still running that in my main rig now.

1 hour ago, rxnelson said:

For your windows VM are you stubbing out a hard drive and being able to run it bare metal like spacedinvader or do you have it running off an SSD or something?

Also not to troll but I guess I expected the 3900 to be able to surpass the 2600. I guess there is that much VM overhead or did you just configure it to be equal. I know the 2600K is still somewhat relevant. I’m still running that in my main rig now.

Troll away :) Just kidding. I did not take it as such. 

I'm running an image file on a NVMe drive, but it is the only VM that runs on the NVMe and I'm getting about ~80% of the speed of the NVMe by doing this. Passing through a NVMe is not yet supported as of yet, from what I understand. When that works I'll switch over to a passed through NVMe but it's not that big of a deal.

As for the performance, I suspect it's better using 6 cores 12 threads on the 3900x vs bare metal 2600x, but as I'm using the VM for streaming games to other devices, I'm stuck at 60 fps, and that is also what I got using the 2600x for the same task. There is overhead, but I really don't have a way to measure it. Once I got the system stable and running the way I want it, I never really did a lot of benchmarks.

If you are considering a move to a similar setup, it really depends on your needs and what experience you are willing to accept. This VM also is my PLEX server so I can use hardware transcoding from the 1070, and so far I've been able to get away with using it for both. I do run a few more VMs, and a lot of dockers on the other 6 cores 12 threads, and this currently is replacing a dual xeon 2665 unraid server and the 2600x gaming box. I think I was running around 400+ watts, maybe 500, down to about 250ish or so gaming.

1 minute ago, rxnelson said:

Is Plex running in a VM or docker?

For now running inside the Gaming VM so I can make use of the 1070 for hardware transcoding. 

I have some questions. How much does memory speed matter if gaming is not a big priority? I was thinking about getting 2x16GB 3200MHz RAM. Is that a good choice?

Also If I get get a 1TB nvme M.2 HDD can I share the space with other VM's or docker containers? Do I have to specify a disk size value for the win10 VM or can everything share the same disk ?

Can't I use GPU transcoding if running a plex docker?