3 Users, One Tower Setup Suggestion?

ashleyf666@gmai

34 minutes ago, ashleyf666@gmai said:

Hey there, 

Just wondering from the community, What do I exactly need in terms of Hardware to be able to have three people use one tower for gaming/etc.

also a step by step guide on how to configure it would be awesome too :)

I live in Canada, so Canadian part sites/stores.

Thanks in advance

How much are you willing to spend? I'm not expert on this, but did have 2 GPUs passed through to two different VMs on my old dual Xeon setup to test it out. It's a lot of work, and the cost might not be worth it.

I think you'd have to start looking at AMD EPYC or Xeon setups, maybe a high core count 3000 series Threadripper.  You will also need a very powerful PSU to power three gaming graphics cards plus a motherboard that can handle 3 GPUs. Then cooling is going to be a problem, especially on an ATX board. And we have not yet even talked about USB controllers and sound.

Take a look at the LTT videos for some starting points.  I don't think it's worth it. I suspect you could build 2 or 3 good gaming PCs and have a lot less issues for less money then you'd spend going down this route. 

Now, if you are doing this and money is no object...

6 hours ago, ashleyf666@gmai said:

Hey there, 

Just wondering from the community, What do I exactly need in terms of Hardware to be able to have three people use one tower for gaming/etc.

also a step by step guide on how to configure it would be awesome too :)

I live in Canada, so Canadian part sites/stores.

Thanks in advance

Sorry to be harsh but if you need that kind of hand-holding just to get the hardware, you will be heavily troubled by the tech hoops you have to pass through (pun intended) to get your project done.

Also you will need to be a lot more specific with your use cases than "gaming/etc". The main reason is with a 3-gamer-1-PC build, one of the 3 gamers will have to compromise.

Last but not least, unless there's someone on here who happen to have built a 3-gamer-1-PC, you will never get "exactly" in any answer.

PCIe pass through is notoriously difficult to predict and requires the on-site person (i.e. you) to have some tech skill to troubleshoot. And nobody wants to be blamed for recommending an exact hardware that should work but doesn't because, for example, the user uses the wrong vbios.

Edited by testdasi
  • Like 1
  • 7 months later...

I’m currently building a 3 user system that I hope will be able to run 3 gamers at the same time.

GPU:
NVIDIA 3080
NVIDIA 1660 Super
NVIDIA 1660 Super
CPU:
Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard:
Asus Crosshair Viii Hero
PSU:
Corsair AX1200i
RAM:
Trident Z Neo 4x16GB 3600
Storage:
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Samsung 860 EVO 2.5” 1TB
Samsung 860 EVO 2.5” 1TB
Samsung 860 EVO 2.5” 1TB

I’ll keep you up to date on this build, but something you may want to look into is if you’ll need a PCIe riser.
For me to fit the 3rd GPU in the bottom PCIe slot, I had to get a 15cm riser to vertically mount the 2nd 1660 Super. Also, invest in some good fans as the case will be packed with a bunch of hardware.
I think I’ll be ready to fire it up by the end of this month, just waiting on my 3080 to arrive. If it works, I’ll make a video showing benchmarks for the 3 users running at the same time.

I’m currently building a 3 user system that I hope will be able to run 3 gamers at the same time.

GPU:
NVIDIA 3080
NVIDIA 1660 Super
NVIDIA 1660 Super
CPU:
Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard:
Asus Crosshair Viii Hero
PSU:
Corsair AX1200i
RAM:
Trident Z Neo 4x16GB 3600
Storage:
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Samsung 860 EVO 2.5” 1TB
Samsung 860 EVO 2.5” 1TB
Samsung 860 EVO 2.5” 1TB

I’ll keep you up to date on this build, but something you may want to look into is if you’ll need a PCIe riser.
For me to fit the 3rd GPU in the bottom PCIe slot, I had to get a 15cm riser to vertically mount the 2nd 1660 Super. Also, invest in some good fans as the case will be packed with a bunch of hardware.
I think I’ll be ready to fire it up by the end of this month, just waiting on my 3080 to arrive. If it works, I’ll make a video showing benchmarks for the 3 users running at the same time.
Have you counted the available pciexpress lanes?

Sent from my NX569J using Tapatalk