adding a second cache drive *Seamless* ?

mbc0

Hi,

I have 3 unraid servers and with two of them I would like to add a 2nd cache drive.  I have had a bit of a scan around and found some old threads, just wondering if anyone has done this recently and has any advice/warnings?  obviously the cache is the most important drive when it comes to all my appdata!

Thanks in advance!

If your existing single cache drive is BTRFS, then it's probably going to be ok.

However... you do have regular backups of your appdata and any cache:only/prefer shares, right? If your server isn't rock solid, I'd strongly recommend staying with a single drive. It seems like there are many more issues reported with BTRFS cache pools than there are with single XFS cache drives.

Also, what size are the existing drives, and what size are you planning on adding?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Both systems I intend to upgrade are BTRFS and both servers are rock solid, I carry out a backup every 3 days, I would do it more often but it takes 4-5 hours to complete.  I was unaware of potential issues with cache pools, I was just looking for a way to protect against a single cache failure.  The first system is a 1TB Samsung Pro Evo 970 NVME and the second is a standard Crucial 1TB SSD, I was looking to just get duplicate drives