Best practices on using cache drive

opentoe

What is the best practice or config settings to disable your cache drive? I physically do have a cache drive installed and do not use it as a conventional cache drive, but I still keep it installed because some plugins/dockers use that as a default drive to put data and settings. I just want to use my cache drive as that and only that. What would I need to make sure my array is not at all using a cache drive in anyway other then what I just wrote?

What I have now is under global share settings, I have disabled the cache drive there. And I also have under each drive set to use cache drive NO. I think that's about all that can be done to make sure the cache drive is not used by the array unless for docker and plugin settings.

UPDATE: Oops. Cannot do that. After I started the array my appdata and domains shares disappeared. Makes sense, since those shares were configured to ONLY use cache drive. So for my setup the best way to make sure cache is not used is to set EACH drive to NOT use it.

You could set each share under "Use Cache" to No for the shares that you don't want to use the cache.  Most prefer to set "Use Cache" to yes then schedule the Mover which will move the files off the cache and into the array.  If you don't use cache for your shares the corresponding array drives will spin up everytime you write to them.  Vm's and Docker image are better off to run off the cache and should be set to "Prefer".

On 2/26/2020 at 3:23 PM, Gragorg said:

You could set each share under "Use Cache" to No for the shares that you don't want to use the cache.  Most prefer to set "Use Cache" to yes then schedule the Mover which will move the files off the cache and into the array.  If you don't use cache for your shares the corresponding array drives will spin up everytime you write to them.  Vm's and Docker image are better off to run off the cache and should be set to "Prefer".

My server runs 24/7 so some things in my scenario are different. I have my VM's on that cache drive so there is optimal performance.

Thanks for replying.