xXxCubacrazyxXx - Transfer Speed

19 minutes ago, xXxCubacrazyxXx said:

I got the same issue and havent been able to figure it out..time is fine...changed the dns on the unraid network section to 1 dns 8.8.8.8 2nd 8.8.4.4 3rd my router and i got nothing...my vms have internet acces its jusr unraid os updater and apps :(

You have replied to a thread that is over a year old. What version of Unraid are you using? 

• 5 weeks later...

Im so sorry it was totally my fault the time was wrong on my server bios i set it up to the correct time and everything is working good now...i actually have another issue now..i got 32 gb of ram on my server and a 512 gb cache but when transfering files over 32 gb the transfer box on windowns reports on and off traffic...i will like to know how to disable ram caching on unraid ans leaving just my ssd as a cache

cache.jpg

2 minutes ago, xXxCubacrazyxXx said:

.i will like to know how to disable ram caching on unraid ans leaving just my ssd as a cache

Linux uses RAM as I/O buffer, no way to disable that and I can't see any reason you would want to.

Each user share has a setting for how it uses cache. The default for that setting is to not use cache. Have you changed that setting for any of your user shares?

6 minutes ago, xXxCubacrazyxXx said:

mmmm....the reason i thought that was my issue is because after 28 GB of data transfer it start acting funny when my SSD cache is nearly epty...it moves the data to the ssd but i think that something is tie to the ram causing that issue

You will get an initial burst of speed until the RAM buffer fills then it will slow to the write speed of whatever disk is involved. Writes to the parity array are somewhat slower than the disk due to parity update.

Haven't looked at diagnostics yet.

You have set all of your shares to cache-prefer. Prefer means write to cache and never move them to the array. Normally only appdata, domains, and system shares should use the prefer setting, at least until you understand why you would do something different. All other shares that you want to use cache should be cache-yes so the files will be later moved to the parity protected array.

And appdata, domains, and system shares are not all on cache even though you have them cache prefer. Probably you enabled dockers and VMs before you added cache, so those got created on the array. You need them to be on cache so your dockers and VMs will not be impacted by the slower parity writes, and so your dockers and VMs will not keep array disks spinning.

Also, Mover can't move open files, so it won't be able to move appdata, domains, and system to cache where they belong unless you disable the Docker and VM services.

1. Set all shares except appdata, domains, and system to cache-yes
  2. Go to Settings - Docker and disable the Docker service
  3. Go to Settings - VM Manager and disable the VM service
  4. Leave Dockers and VMs disabled until told to enable them again
  5. Go to Main - Array Operations and Move Now
  6. Wait for Mover to complete
  7. Post new Diagnostics