Mirror Raid 0 on a share

Hi, Hope this is not a duplicate. But I have a server setup and would like a backup share that mirror copies all the content over several hard drives.  In-effect making a raid 0 on that share content.  This is due to the content being of a high importance and more copies is required for more redundancy (I know the parity is there).   But if two hard drives fail (in my current setup) then the content could be lost. With this setup I could have all share hdd have this content. 

At the moment my solution to to have a backup share for each drive and then have a tool (script) copy the content to the other backups for each hard drive.   

Is this something possible with a plugin or feature request?  Thanks. 

19 minutes ago, LloydHooson said:

At the moment my solution to to have a backup share for each drive and then have a tool (script) copy the content to the other backups for each hard drive.

This is the best way. RAID doesn't really make sense when you are talking about folders (shares). RAID doesn't work that way.

1 hour ago, LloydHooson said:

Thanks I understand that I was using it as a example of the functionality not the underlining systems. 

What you are proposing would be terrible for what you are trying to do.

If something is wrong with your source, the wrong-ness will automatically cascade down to all backups. That would defeat the whole point of having a backup.

In addition, what you are trying to do would just be creating more versions of the same online backup. So if let's say there's a power surge, all your data is destroyed anyway, regardless of how many copies you have.

When dealing with vital data, you need to think of it in "Four-O":

• Original copy
  • Online backup - a medium that is plugged in and connected with the original copy most of the time e.g. an array dup of data
  • Offline backup - a medium that is disconnected and unplugged except during data transfer e.g. an external USB drive
  • Offsite backup - a medium that is not in the same physical premise as the original copy e.g. cloud backup or even an external drive at a relative's place

So instead of propagating many versions of the same copy i.e. making many online backups, you should, for example, take 1 HDD out and use it externally.

If the data is that critical to you, to the extent that you want it mirrored across many drives, I would assume you would want the full Four-O.

maybe the words backup and raid were a bad choices.  Currently (in my setup) if 2 drives or more fail, then I cannot recover the data drive that failed through parity check (as I only have one parity), but the excellent feature of unraid being the other data drives still contain all there data and should be fine to access and use.

So for a share to be mirrored over the other drives making that share for this scenario a much safer bet on the data being safe from this failure.  

Also looking at a feature set with something like this you could get improved data transferring out of the server utilising the increased data throughput of parallel access possibly.