Cannot Run SMART Test

Hi There,

I've run into some SMART errors on a new drive, I did a preclear on them before placing them in, I don't remember seeing any errors or maybe I had them and not noticed. 

Anyway looking for confirmation that the drive failed - I keep trying to run a SMART test (Short/Extended) and keep getting this error:

"Errors occurred - Check SMART report"

Smart says its passed but I don't trust it.  I've checked the cables and even moved to a different SATA port and still can't run the test - I think the drive is failing but could use some feedback given I just got it.

I've attached the diagnostics and SMART report and I have not rebooted since. I hope I have provided enough info, if not please let me know.

Specs and plugins

i7-2600k - asus P8P67 Deluxe and 16GB memory and using unraid version 6.8.3 

8TB WD Parity

2x8TB Seagate (one of these is giving me the SMART Errors) - not sure that it matters but these two were shucked, yes I'm aware of the voided warranty.

2x3TB WD Red

I have the following plugins and one docker app > Krusader

Community Applications

Custom Tab

Dynamix S3 Sleep

Dynamix SSD TRIM

Dynamix System Buttons

Dynamix System Statistics

Dynamix System Temperature

Fix Common Problems

Nerd Tools

Preclear Disks

Unassigned Devices

Thanks

fortress-diagnostics-20200411-1607.zip fortress-smart-20200411-1538.zip

Edited by viethan
Grammar

SMART tests are failing:

SMART Extended Self-test Log Version: 1 (1 sectors)
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
# 2  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
# 3  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
# 4  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
# 5  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
# 6  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
# 7  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
# 8  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
# 9  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
#10  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
#11  Short offline       Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
#12  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%       177         15033509320
#13  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%       176         15033509320

Disk need to be replaced.

I figured as much. A lot of this is new to me so I've been playing around, I was thinking I'd use preclear to zero it out so that I can toss it since its half full.

If I stop the array > unassign the drive (no device) it moves to the unassigned devices where the preclear option shows up? but I'm not sure which option is the quickest to zero it out, is it "Erase All the disk" or "Erase and Clear the disk"? or is there a better way?

Thanks for the assistance

Hi Frank1940

I tried entering the HDD serial says I need to call support on the check warranty page. But I was able to added it on my registered products page on my account but warranty shows expiry as 03/2020.  The serial from the enclosure it says the warranty is valid till 2021.  Are you thinking I still might be able to send the HDD without the case in for warranty?

No.  But as you can see, the shucked drive itself did have a warranty and if it had not expired, you could have just sent  the shucked drive in for replacement.  You could try reinstalling it in the case for warranty but I am not real sure what will happen when it is received.   Many states have laws about seal-breaking not voiding warranties but there are usually limitations to that provision.

I see what you're saying about the warranty.  Makes me wonder then, these back up drives are just out of warranty drives going the enclosures.

Anyways thanks for the suggestion - I might try it.  I'm considering doing an exchange with Staples since I'm in the return window (I'll put it back in the case) 

2 minutes ago, viethan said:

Makes me wonder then, these back up drives are just out of warranty drives going the enclosures.

Given the price of these drives, I have always had the feeling that they are using drives that are excess inventory for many various reasons.  It is a way to move that inventory without the buyer really knowing what he is getting except for the drive capacity.