Share folder on cache drive for read/write access

razz

Hi I'd like to read/write subtitles for videos on a specific folder on the cache drive.

How do I make a folder on the cache drive visible in the network, and its permissions be read/write access?

Can I disable disk sharing yet still have this folder available?

39 minutes ago, trurl said:

Make a user share, set it to Use cache disk: Only, set its SMB permissions as needed. Did I miss something in your questions?

You should disable disk sharing regardless.

This is helpful. 

Was getting confused on creating folders on a disk and creating share. I have a torrent client which download torrents to "/mnt/cache/Cache/Torrents/". Am I understanding correctly that one has to create the file share first. Then setup the delugevpn docker to use the share path? Instead of doing it in reverse where one creates the folder then tries to link a share to it?

Also there a way to create a share that is not in the root folder of the cache-disk?

The user shares ARE the top level folders on cache and array. The normal way to create a user share is in the webUI. Then Unraid will create top level folders on cache and array with the same name as the share, as needed and according to the settings for the share.

But, if you create a top level folder yourself on cache or array, it is still a user share, and will have default settings until you change them.

2 hours ago, razz said:

/mnt/cache/Cache/Torrents/

I recommend not naming any folder the same as a disk just to prevent possible confusion later.

How do you intend to get the torrented files off cache? Personally, I do torrents on a user share which only includes a single one of my array disks. That way they can seed as long as they want and I don't have to worry about filling the smaller cache drive. But I can understand wanting to have them on cache to prevent spinning array disks.

You just need to be careful about filling cache and possibly corrupting it. Another user had exactly this problem recently with torrents.