Is TLER important in a hard drive?

Hi, I am shopping for new hard drives. I can shuck a 8tb external hard drive that would cost less than buying a red drive, but it doesn't have TLER enable by default. Is Unraid using TLER. Should I choose a hard drive that have TLER enable by default?

Model Family: WDC HGST Ultrastar He10

Device Model: WDC WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0

2 minutes ago, Moka said:

Hi, I am shopping for new hard drives. I can shuck a 8tb external hard drive that would cost less than buying a red drive, but it doesn't have TLER enable by default. Is Unraid using TLER. Should I choose a hard drive that have TLER enable by default?

Unraid does not make use of TLER.

• 6 months later...
On 4/15/2020 at 1:49 AM, itimpi said:

Unraid does not make use of TLER.

Sorry, to be clear does that mean there's no need to enable TLER on these drives?

And there's no issues with using a wd80ezaz in an unRAID array? (I have read that it can cause the array to stall when a drive goes down).

On 4/15/2020 at 1:46 AM, Moka said:

No issues with EZAZ or EMAZ, both are He10 drives and work fine in my array.

However WD has now replaced these in the Mybook and Elements with EDAZ (Air) drives.

Most of the other Red/Gold/Purple etc. drives have also moved away from helium until you get to 16TB+

The EDAZ are ~10% faster across the platter but run noticably hotter. E.g. these three have been pre-clearing for nearly 2 days.

Temps on the EDAZ and EMAZ are almost identical but EDAZ have a notable uplift. I can bring this difference down if I turn the fans up but it's cool weather now so silence is good.

image.png.137212ac673b757b490d59df824cbc01.png

Nothing wrong with the air drives, and you can check the drive ID in crystal disk etc. before you crack them open.

Just an oppertunity for disappointment if you expect He10... you may get lucky with old stock, 1 in my last 4 was EMAZ.

From data in forums, it's also likely that all 8TB WD drives are 7200rpm, detuned but still spinning at 7200rpm hence the 8-10W power consumption. WD market as 5400rpm class .....

Hence there is no effieciency saving from WD 5400rpm 'class' drives so Toshiba N300 7200rpm can be an alternative, performance should be similar.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
On 10/21/2020 at 5:10 PM, Decto said:

No issues with EZAZ or EMAZ, both are He10 drives and work fine in my array.

However WD has now replaced these in the Mybook and Elements with EDAZ (Air) drives.

Most of the other Red/Gold/Purple etc. drives have also moved away from helium until you get to 16TB+

The EDAZ are ~10% faster across the platter but run noticably hotter. E.g. these three have been pre-clearing for nearly 2 days.

Temps on the EDAZ and EMAZ are almost identical but EDAZ have a notable uplift. I can bring this difference down if I turn the fans up but it's cool weather now so silence is good.

Nothing wrong with the air drives, and you can check the drive ID in crystal disk etc. before you crack them open.

Just an oppertunity for disappointment if you expect He10... you may get lucky with old stock, 1 in my last 4 was EMAZ.

From data in forums, it's also likely that all 8TB WD drives are 7200rpm, detuned but still spinning at 7200rpm hence the 8-10W power consumption. WD market as 5400rpm class .....

Hence there is no effieciency saving from WD 5400rpm 'class' drives so Toshiba N300 7200rpm can be an alternative, performance should be similar.

I also just shucked two 12TB WD MyBook (orange packaging) and found EDAZ-Drives inside. They are running fine without getting too hot, also CrystalDiskInfo shows "Current Helium Level" under ID16 so there seems to be a difference between the 8TB and 12TB version? 

6hIS8gc.png