Disks constantly spinning

J05u

Hello, i assume i have issue. All my Hard Drives always in status active, even if i am not doing anything with them. (like accessing data on them)

And because of this situation my unraid server is very noisy, is it any way to find out which process is not allowing drives to spun down.

When i am pressing Spin Down disks this reducing noise significantly, and i guess drives should go to sleep while no one using them.

I have the same issue since 6.8.2 All my disks were constantly spinning! I realised that it was my iMac that also had stopped going to sleep, on checking file activity plug-in the only activity was time machine on disk 3 which is the only disk it uses, so something new in 6.8.2 is keeping the other disks spinning? If I switch off time machine all disks spin down. So I deleted the tm backup and reset everything and started a new backup and all disks are spinning again?! What is going on here?

35C29C9F-18EA-43B4-93B0-E085FE2BF52A.png

13 hours ago, tarzan said:

Maybe your Mac is doing a spotlight index of your drives?

mdutil -s /Volumes/VOLUME

For checking if spotlight is active

To turn it off

Hi, I get a can't resolve volume error, which I think is to be expected as only Time Machine is connected to the share and will mount and un-mount it as required? Nothing else is mounted from the server, so I'm guessing its not that?

Cheers,

Tim

• 1 year later...