New Unraid Build SSD Question

Hi,

Buddy convinced me to convert my hackintosh into an Unraid box and move the Hackintosh into a VMHost.  This way I can run other VM's and docker etc..

I plan to run.

9700k / Gigabyte Designaire / 64 GB Ram

AMD RX580 GPU

250GB NVME SSD - Cache

1TB Sata - SSD - VMs

2x 4GB HDD - Mirrored - Data and files

VM - Hackintosh Mojave / Primarily to Run FCP + all plugins / (Plan to follow Spaceinvader)

Docker or  UBUNTU (TBD) - Media server / Emby / Subsonic

A.  Is this a decent start to a 1st build?

B.  Is this a good allocation of disk?

C.  Board has a 2nd M2 slot.  Should I invest in a second 250 NVME SSD and run both Cache? 

Edited by Brian242
5 hours ago, Brian242 said:

Hi,

Buddy convinced me to convert my hackintosh into an Unraid box and move the Hackintosh into a VMHost.  This way I can run other VM's and docker etc..

I plan to run.

AMD RX580 GPU

250GB NVME SSD - Cache

1TB Sata - SSD - Apps

VM - Hackintosh Mojave / Primarily to Run FCP + all plugins / (Plan to follow Spaceinvader)

C.  Board has a 2nd M2 slot.  Should I invest in a second 250 NVME SSD and run both Cache? 

What is the 1TB Apps SSD for?

Normaly, all what you install is placed on the Cache-SSD...

Edited by Zonediver
3 hours ago, Brian242 said:

Thought I'd keep the VM's provisioned on a dedicated SSD

A not uncommon approach with the SSD being handled via Unassigned Devices plugin.

you mention the 2x4TB HDD as being mirrored.    Technically in Unraid terms that is one data drive plus one parity drive.    In that special case parity IS actually a mirror of the data drive.     However if you later added additional data drives then parity would no longer be a mirror although you would still be protected against a single data drive failing.

13 hours ago, Brian242 said:

I plan to run.

AMD RX580 GPU

250GB NVME SSD - Cache

1TB Sata - SSD - VMs

Make sure to boot Unraid with the iGPU so you stand a fighting chance of passing through the RX580 to the MacOS VM.

Unraid will need to format all the drives before using them so make sure you have your data backed up before starting.

In your case, the "ideal" scenario probably would be to use the 1TB SATA SSD as cache and pass through the NVMe as a PCIe device to your MacOS VM (which presumably is your main VM). The other less important VM can have their vdisk files stored on cache and you will have max performance with the NVMe passed through.