[SOLVED] Advice Needed: "hard resetting link"

Hello! I was hoping to get a little advice from the community.

I've been using a Sata expansion card for years now without issue and in the last month I have started seeing warnings and errors like:

Apr 26 15:36:01 Tower kernel: ata10.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6 frozen

Apr 26 15:36:01 Tower kernel: ata10.00: failed command: SMART

Apr 26 15:36:01 Tower kernel: ata10.00: cmd b0/d1:01:01:4f:c2/00:00:00:00:00/00 tag 15 pio 512 in

Apr 26 15:36:01 Tower kernel: res 40/00:01:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x4 (timeout)

Apr 26 15:36:01 Tower kernel: ata10.00: status: { DRDY } Apr 26 15:36:01 Tower kernel: ata10: hard resetting link

I should note that the errors started popping up after installing a new drive, so it is possible I un-seated the card or cables.

I have a new card ready to install, but here is where I need the feedback: My last parity check was 25 days ago. My gut tells me to run a parity check before doing any sort of hardware upgrade. I am just nervous that I might introduce more problems by doing a parity check with an unreliable expansion card. Anyone have thoughts on what I should do? Is my best bet to do a check, but not write corrections to parity? Skip the check altogether?

Thanks in advance for the help! It's been about 8 years with no issue, so this is new for me :)

Thanks so much. I appreciate the feedback. I had replaced and re-seated the cables back in early April and I thought that had fixed the issue. Clearly not.

Given that I have a replacement SATA card on hand (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ST9CPND/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1), are there any things I should be aware of when swapping out the card? I just did a parity check (all good), I backed up my flash drive, and took a screenshot of my drive assignments. Anything else that I would need to be aware of? Will this hardware change trigger a parity check? Thanks again!

Things are looking good on this end. I replaced the SATA card last night and things looked stable. Ran a parity check, which resulted in no errors. I used the same cables as before to test them out. I'm guess that either the card was starting to fail or it got partially unseated in the last hardware upgrade.

Thanks very to johnnie.black for weighing in and the guidance! I really appreciate it.

Edited by JPilla415
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Advice Needed: "hard resetting link"