Fans working in auto?

Asus Z10PE-D16 WS

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2630v4

Dual Cooler master hyper 212 evo w. 2 fans each.

6 case fans.

When running I can barely hear the fans. I then will see temps go from 31c to 41c but I never hear a difference is the fans. I have went into the bios and set the fans at 100% and the temps dropped back down. Is there any downside to this? How can I be sure that if I set my fans back in auto that they are being controlled and ramping up / down correctly?

I have tried the plugins for auto fan control but could not get it to do anything.  Any help would be appreciated.

Fan control with Unraid is typically done by the mobo BIOS. The plugin supposedly works but only for some specific hardware.

When you pick Auto, the BIOS picks a certain curve.

41C is hardly hot enough for the fan speed diff to be audibly difference. To sort of "test" the fan, you have to put sufficient load.

There is no downside to keeping fan running at 100% except for the noise. So if the noise is acceptable to you, just keep it at 100%.

• Like 1

Yea, I set a vm to all cores and maxed out the processor with prime95. I never hear my fans move. This just seems odd to me. I am going to let it run for 15 or 20 mins.

temps start out around 31/32c and get to 43/46c but a fan never moves.

Maybe I dont understand ASUS mobo fan settings.

Generic speed

High Speed

Full Speed

Manual Mode

Energy Efficiency

Edited by itskamel
1 hour ago, itskamel said:

Yea, I set a vm to all cores and maxed out the processor with prime95. I never hear my fans move. This just seems odd to me. I am going to let it run for 15 or 20 mins.

temps start out around 31/32c and get to 43/46c but a fan never moves.

Maybe I dont understand ASUS mobo fan settings.

Generic speed

High Speed

Full Speed

Manual Mode

Energy Efficiency

I would suggest to open the case and see whether the fans move first and foremost.

Next is to make sure you are using the right fan port on the mobo. Most mobo have specific port for CPU fan (and extra CPU fan for push-pull), pump and case fans. Some mobo also allows you to change which sensor the fan curve is based on as well. Make sure the right fan is on the right sensor.

The various settings you see are the fan curves. The sensor setting should be independent.

If all things are set up correctly, the CPU load will only affect the fans plugged into the CPU port. So even if you load 100% CPU, only CPU fans will speed up.

For case fans, unless your mobo has special sensors at the right location (or thermal sensor ports), you can set it at a fixed rpm that you can be comfortable with. Alternatively, change the sensor affecting the fan curve to CPU and they will drive up based on CPU load.

I have all my in take run at 100% and exhaust based on CPU sensor (since the exhaust fan is right opposite the CPU cooler so it improves the removal of hot air from the cooler vicinity.

• Like 1