Best practice moving large amount of data

Hi guys, i'm about to migrate from Ubuntu to a new Unraid build and a couple of terabytes of data will have to be copied.

In other words, i have bought and built a whole new Unraid server with new drives etc.

This is my ide.

Mount unraid on the ubuntu server and move with the "screen" application on the ubuntu server.

But are there other options? What is the best practice to follow when moving large amount of data?

If your Ubuntu storage is the generic kind (i.e. no encryption, raid and other funky stuff), you should be able to just connect the Ubuntu disks to the Unraid server and mount them as Unassigned Device and do the copy from the Unraid server. That is typically faster (e.g. you can do disk-to-disk parallel transfers as long as each disk only has 1 stream).

If your Ubuntu server has RAID-based storage then safest is what you are planning i.e. just do the transfer over the network.

• 2 weeks later...

Allright so the moving is done however i ofcourse get permission errors while trying to move stuff around on my windows client.

I have nobody / users as owner on everything. "-rwxr--r-- 1 nobody users"

How do i correct this so i can edit from Windows? chmod -R 777 seems abit harsh, what's the procedure here? I noticed there is a "New Permissions" under Tools, however the description of this doesn't seem to fit my situation since i dont come from an AD enviroment nor did i upgrade the unraid dist from 5.0.

Edited by Fifthy
18 minutes ago, Fifthy said:

Allright so the moving is done however i ofcourse get permission errors while trying to move stuff around on my windows client.

I have nobody / users as owner on everything. "-rwxr--r-- 1 nobody users"

How do i correct this so i can edit from Windows? chmod -R 777 seems abit harsh, what's the procedure here? I noticed there is a "New Permissions" under Tools, however the description of this doesn't seem to fit my situation since i dont come from an AD enviroment nor did i upgrade the unraid dist from 5.0.

You can run the New Permissions tool at any time to correct permissions issues.   

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Fifthy said:

Allright, seems to be working now, thanks :)

I wasnt sure since the description didn't fit.

I agree the descriptive text could be improved :)   It just needs a line added that says it can be run at any time to correct permission issues.

• Like 1
On 5/11/2020 at 7:42 PM, itimpi said:

I agree the descriptive text could be improved :)   It just needs a line added that says it can be run at any time to correct permission issues.

I second that.

Edited by Fifthy