[SOLVED] Really Slow Transfer Speed over SMB

I'm new to the Unraid system. I've followed LTT's setup suggestions.

The system has a E3-1231V3, 8G RAM, GT610 Graphics, Z97 Mobo, LSI 9207-8i.

All drives had been scanned for bad sectors using DiskGenius V5.2.0.884, and all of them responded within the normal range.

Array devices are connected to the SAS controller, cache devices are connected to the mobo ports.

Array devices are: 5 HP SAS 6Gb 6TB drives (MB6000JEFND), 1 Seagate SATA 6Gb 3TB drive (ST3000DM001), 1 Toshiba SATA 6Gb 1TB drive (MK1059GSM)

Cache devices are: Crucial MX300 525GB*1 and MX200 500GB*1.

All array drives had been formated to xfs, and all cache drives had been formated to btrfs after array started. No fault was brought to my attention.

I'm using OpenWrt and Ros for router. The router has a i7-7500U + 8G RAM + dual gig port. All devices are running on 1gig network.

I've tried several methods to write to the shared folder which had it's cache enabled. No matter what I try, the speed would just hold at around 15MB/s.

Method1: writing from my desktop PC's 960EVO, single file over 7GB

Method2: writing from my Synology DS918+, which normally would exceed 100MB/s when write/read from my desktop, single file of 4GB

Method3: writing from a VM on my router (Win10), single file over 7GB

Here's what I did before I came here for help:

Rebooted the Unraid machine both in normal mode and safe mode. No help. (didn't expect anything different since I didn't install any plugins or docker at the time I tested the speed)

Checked the cable is fine with my desktop, I can reach my Synology using the cable for Unraid machine with my desktop and get over 100MB/s transfer speed.

Checked the disk is fine by using the mover to transfer the files in cache to array, and result of over 100MB/s total write speed.

Checked indeed the files was written to my cache since the cache was filled up with new files I copied.

I'm not sure what's wrong with my new setup. Please let me know if there's anything else I could do to confirm what the problem is.

Thanks a lot in advance. Cheers.

tower-diagnostics-20200506-1837.zip

Edited by SYMYAY
problem solved.
23 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

This suggest a network problem, run an iperf test (single stream).

I've ran iperf on both my VM on router and my desktop. Sincee my desktop is relying on wifi right now, the iperf result is about 50Mbit/s.

However, with the VM on router, even with the iperf result of 944Mbit/s, the copy speed is still hanging around 5MB/s.

Anything else that may be the problem? Does SMB share set to public has any effect on performance?

Capture.PNG

8 minutes ago, SYMYAY said:

I've ran iperf on both my VM on router and my desktop. Sincee my desktop is relying on wifi right now, the iperf result is about 50Mbit/s.

Not sure I understand, you should run iperf between Unraid and your desktop, and you desktop should be using a LAN cable, pointless trying to fix low wi-fi speeds.

VM speeds might be affected by other issues, so first it should be tested with a separate desktop.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Not sure I understand, you should run iperf between Unraid and your desktop, and you desktop should be using a LAN cable, pointless trying to fix low wi-fi speeds.

VM speeds might be affected by other issues, so first it should be tested with a separate desktop.

Thank you so much for the help. For some reason, my ASUS AC5300 router talk to the Synology NAS at 100Mb/s... Unplug and plug back in the cable solved the problem.

Again thanks. Have a good one :)