dockers accessed from the command-line

Hello all.  I am new to unRAID (and docker), although I do know my way around linux pretty well.  I have found most of the apps I am looking for via CA... makemkv, avidemux, handbrake, plex, etc.  Everything is super easy to configure and is working well.

The only hitch happened when I searched for a bit-perfect CD-ripper called whipper.  It is not in the CA, but there is a docker for it:

https://hub.docker.com/r/whipperteam/whipper

It's a 100% command-line app (no VNC or webUI).  I am thinking I can add the docker from the command-line, but I'm not sure how to give it access to my optical drive and array folders without using a template.  So, I tried using a template (the one for makemkv), and this seemed to work.  Instead of launching a webui, I just called it from the terminal.  All was well, until whipper appeared to start spawning additional docker images every time I ran it.  Each one had a weird name: Wizardly_Edison, Laughing_Eular, Quizzical_Gagarin.  Not making this up, I promise.  Removing one, would render whipper non-functional.  So, I just removed them all and came here looking for insight.

Is there any easy way to install docker images that operate exclusively from the command-line without compromising how the CA apps function?  Hope all of this makes sense. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, akshunj said:

Each one had a weird name

This is what docker does when you don't specify a name, it makes up a name from some builtin dictionary.

Even though this is a command line application, you should be able to use the Add/Edit Container in the usual way. If the container includes bash you should be able to get to the command line within the container by clicking on its icon (generic unless you specify one in the template) and selecting Console.

12 minutes ago, akshunj said:

I just called it from the terminal.

How exactly are you doing this?

The Add/Edit Container page is just a form to enter the parameters of the docker run command. Once you have submitted that form, you have executed the docker run command. Then you just need to get into its command line.

When you had it running could it actually access your cd?

29 minutes ago, trurl said:

This is what docker does when you don't specify a name, it makes up a name from some builtin dictionary.

Even though this is a command line application, you should be able to use the Add/Edit Container in the usual way. If the container includes bash you should be able to get to the command line within the container by clicking on its icon (generic unless you specify one in the template) and selecting Console.

How exactly are you doing this?

I called it by pulling up the unRAID terminal and invoking the docker name.  

24 minutes ago, trurl said:

The Add/Edit Container page is just a form to enter the parameters of the docker run command. Once you have submitted that form, you have executed the docker run command. Then you just need to get into its command line.

When you had it running could it actually access your cd?

Yep.  Everything was working fine on that end.  Thanks for the replies, btw

2 hours ago, akshunj said:

I called it by pulling up the unRAID terminal and invoking the docker name.  

Can you be more specific? What exactly do you enter at the Unraid terminal?

2 hours ago, akshunj said:

The container won't "start"

Do you get any error messages from the docker run?

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Can you be more specific? What exactly do you enter at the Unraid terminal?

Do you get any error messages from the docker run?

unRAID terminal command:

docker run whipperteam/whipper (args)

Runs as expected, except it spawns those additional docker images with the wacky names.

Starting the docker from the unRAID UI does not generate any error messages.  It simply refreshes to the same screen now showing the docker is stopped.  And that makes sense as whipper is a really simple command-line app.  There's nothing to start.  You would only invoke it when you're ready to rip a CD.  There's no daemon waiting for additional input.

8 minutes ago, akshunj said:

that makes sense as whipper is a really simple command-line app.  There's nothing to start.  You would only invoke it when you're ready to rip a CD.  There's no daemon waiting for additional input.

OK, I get it. Really no point in getting Add/Edit Container involved at all then if you have to do an actual docker run. Don't know about those additional dockers it spawns, maybe that is just the way it works. Do they go away when it has finished?

1 hour ago, trurl said:

OK, I get it. Really no point in getting Add/Edit Container involved at all then if you have to do an actual docker run. Don't know about those additional dockers it spawns, maybe that is just the way it works. Do they go away when it has finished?

They don't go away