Cant boot into Unraid

Should dockers work while the rebuild is in progress?  I cant seem to get sonarr or plex to open (they start, but cant get to the gui)

Last time i had to revert my appdata because i was having a docker error, i wonder if i will have to do that again?

Edited by danimal86

Your appdata and system shares have files on the array. Probably just as well for now until you get a bigger cache.

Just a couple of other things I like to add when people are new. Maybe I already asked them on this or other thread.

Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable? Do you have Notifications setup to alert you immediately by email or other agent as soon as a problem is detected?

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Your appdata and system shares have files on the array. Probably just as well for now until you get a bigger cache.

I've been on the lookout for a deal on a 1tb ssd.  I may go down to a 512 since i think thats enough.  I do have that m.2 nvme 120gb drive as an unassigned drive.  I've got plex on it right now, but should i put my appdata and system shares on there?

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable? Do you have Notifications setup to alert you immediately by email or other agent as soon as a problem is detected?

I need to figure something out.  95% of my data is media based and is replaceable, but i've definately got to figure out something for those other 5%

With two parity drives, it should be fairly safe, right? 

After today's issues, i think i should have a backup of my flash drive off the array.  Any good way to do this automatically?  Any other system files i should backup? 

I was getting sooo many temperature notifications that i didn't want to setup any emails, but now i think i will.  I'm sure there's a way to sort them so you only get critical errors.  

1 minute ago, danimal86 said:

With two parity drives, it should be fairly safe, right? 

Plenty of more common ways to lose data besides disk failure, including simple user error. Parity won't help for any of that.

3 minutes ago, danimal86 said:

a backup of my flash drive off the array

I have an Unassigned Device, formatted as NTFS, in an eSATA / USB3 enclosure. It is connected to Unraid using the eSATA since that is more reliable, It is automounted and I use that as the destination for my automatic flash backup using the CA Backup plugin as well as other purposes such as making other backups. Since it is NTFS I can take it to my Windows PC and plug it in if I need to get the flash backup.

7 minutes ago, danimal86 said:

getting sooo many temperature notifications

You really should deal with your cooling problems. You can adjust the temp warnings in Disk Settings, or adjust them for specific disks on the page for the disk.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Plenty of more common ways to lose data besides disk failure, including simple user error. Parity won't help for any of that.

I am quite aware of user error.  Ha.  

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

I have an Unassigned Device, formatted as NTFS, in an eSATA / USB3 enclosure. It is connected to Unraid using the eSATA since that is more reliable, It is automounted and I use that as the destination for my automatic flash backup using the CA Backup plugin as well as other purposes such as making other backups. Since it is NTFS I can take it to my Windows PC and plug it in if I need to get the flash backup.

I really like this idea.  i dont have an esata port on the mobo, usb work?  I do have an m.2 enclosure, so i guess i could just pull that if something went bad.  I'll look into this further.  

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

You really should deal with your cooling problems. You can adjust the temp warnings in Disk Settings, or adjust them for specific disks on the page for the disk.

My spinning drives all stay in the 30's (or maybe low 40's) its the freaking m.2.  That thing wants to shoot to the moon!

So i precleared 3 drives to be added to the array, and then formatted them through Unassigned Drive to xfs, then when i added them to the array unraid is Clearing them.  

So the preclear is basically just a disk check (mine came back with no errors) but doesn't really help with the process of adding new drives to the array?

edit:

here's what it looks like right now, after adding two 3tb drives and a 2tb

image.thumb.png.b315ca1879ade6dd3dd940bf5f23d645.png

Edited by danimal86
23 hours ago, danimal86 said:

then formatted them through Unassigned Drive to xfs, then when i added them to the array unraid is Clearing them.  

A formatted drive is not a clear drive. A clear drive is all zeros, and can be added to a new data slot in the parity array as is since all those zeros have no effect on parity.

Since you formatted the drives, they were no longer clear. A formatted drive contains the filesystem metadata that represents an empty top level folder ready to receive new files and folders. Since the disk wasn't clear when you added it to the array, Unraid has to clear it so parity remains valid. When it has finished clearing it, you will have to format it in the array.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

A formatted drive is not a clear drive. A clear drive is all zeros, and can be added to a new data slot in the parity array as is since all those zeros have no effect on parity.

Since you formatted the drives, they were no longer clear. A formatted drive contains the filesytem metadata that represents an empty top level folder ready to receive new files and folders. Since the disk wasn't clear when you added it to the array, Unraid has to clear it so parity remains valid. When it has finished clearing it, you will have to format it in the array.

so if i were to not have formatted it in unassigned devices and just added it to the array and formatted it then...it wouldn't be going through the clearing process now?

Format means "write an empty filesystem to this disk". That is what it has always meant in every operating system you have ever used.

Note that format is a write operation. When you format a disk in the parity array, Unraid treats that write just as it does any other, by updating parity. So after formatting a disk in the array, parity agrees the disk has an empty filesystem.

Some people make the mistake (even though the webUI warns them not to) of formatting a problem disk and then trying to rebuild its former contents from parity. But all they will get from the rebuild is an empty filesystem since that is what the parity calculation says they have.

so it went through its check, and the drives say Unmountable, no big deal.  I can format them and then they should be ready to be written to, but i'm noticing that it shows reads are happening.  Am i fine to format?  

edit: answered my own question.  I clicked the format and its good to go.  

image.thumb.png.560ffb1eb91d295d7b4f2ae6a1d193f8.png

Edited by danimal86