Help Investigating System Crash

I've been using unraid for a few weeks now and after getting all the details sorted out, I decided to install a VM. I set up a windows VM and had everything working fine. I was hoping to get sound to pass through to Splashtop, so I stopped the VM went to edit the template and assigned the onboard sound controller, applied.

When I started the VM again, the entire system froze up. I could no longer even access the unraid GUI, or ping it's IP address. I wasn't sure what to do, so I ended up doing a hard shutdown. Everything came back up when I powered on again and the parity check began, which I expected. 

I'm hoping to get some help to figure out what went wrong and maybe something I should avoid doing in the future. I'm nervous to try and start up the VM and have this happen again. I especially don't like the 20 hours I have to wait for the parity check.

I opened the logs icon in the top right but it only went back so far and had nothing around the time of the crash.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.