Container election criteria

Hello!, 

I couldn't find a better section to post this question. I'm moving my home NAS from a DiY Linux setup to unRAID and I'm doing the

psychological exercise of shutting down VMs and moving to unRAID managed containers.

For Emby there seems to be an official container, but for NextCloud there are at least two, HomeAssistant has several around. What's the criteria to chose one or the other for the same application?.

Edited by cyruspy

Support.

Investigate who is providing it for each specific container, how responsive they are, etc. Official doesn't necessarily mean best supported, it typically just means the author of the packaged app also builds the container. That can mean good things, or it can mean they put it together once and don't bother to maintain or support it.

Think of containers as mini-VM's, the application is only one part of it, the base libraries and such are important too, and because of the way docker containers work, if you use multiple containers with the same base, they will all share the same layers saving space in the docker image. So, one way of deciding between otherwise equal containers tips in favor of commonality with your other containers.