2nd hand NAS good enough for unraid?

Hello everybody,

I have wanted to build my first NAS system for a while now. But haven't due to the cost (im still a student).
I've come across a second hand NAS system (without the drives) for aproximately 70 euros (76 dollars):

Asus E35M1-I motherboard, 4 GB of Corsair vengance RAM, Dual core AMD E-350, 1,6 GHz. CPU, Fractal design case. With suport up to 6 drives.

I want to know if it is practical to buy this system and run unraid on it (since it meets the required specs), or if I should wait, save up and buy something else.

Thanks! and kind regards.

Edited by terrariumplant

When evaluating this system, I would be looking at the current cost and relative usefulness of the Fractal case.  The remainder of the hardware is outdated and virtually valueless.  While (as @johnnie.black says) it would work as a simple Unraid NAS server, you will be very limited if you want to do anything beyond file serving.  If the case is something that you could/would use in a future server build, then purchase it and use it as-is until you can upgrade the components.

As I was writing this I remembered that even the power supply may require replacement during upgrading as that was about the time the twenty pin MB supply cable was being replaced by the twenty-four pin one.

• Like 1