Easy Question regarding split level, and bonus

I know this is dumb, but for some reason my brain is just not working with this.

I even watched a youtube video on it and feel like im a drooling moron.

Okay, that out of the way.

Help me decide split levels for 2 options.

Today, on my NAS I have 1 share labeled media.

It has 3 sub folders, TV, Movies, Music

Each Movie is its own sub folder (i.e. Star Trek would be \\nas\media\movies\startrek\startrek.mkv)

Each TV series has its own sub folder as well (i.e. Arrow would be \\nas\media\TV\Arrow\SXXEXX.mkv) there are no season folders (except one i messed up on)

Music is not relevant for this I dont care how its split up, its archive any more.

Now here are my 2 options:

1. same structure

Movies arent relevant for split I suppose, TV I would like to contain all of that one show to the same drive

2. separate shares for movies and tv

I would prefer to manage as few shares as possible, but I still want the series to all be on the same drive, dont care between 2 different series.

given my examples above, what is the best way to set up the "Media" share for unraid?

I also dont want to just constantly write to one drive.  I am going from a NAS of 5 6TB drives to an unraid of 2 12 TBs, 4 4TBs, and 2 12TB parity drives.  I plan to add 2 more 12s in but they are taking ages to preclear over usb (gonna shuck).

Now for the bonus question.  Is it possible to remove a drive from the array? whats the proceedure if so?  Say I want to replace the 3 of the 4TB drives above with a single 12 and pull the 4s out.  Preferably without taking the array down for a day+.

Thanks in Advance.

Edited by ShadowCVL
2 minutes ago, ShadowCVL said:

s it possible to remove a drive from the array? whats the proceedure if so?  Say I want to replace the 3 of the 4TB drives above with a single 12 and pull the 4s out.

Replace/rebuild one of the 4 onto the 12. Use unBALANCE to move contents of other 4s to the new 12. New Config without the empty 4s and rebuild parity.