SSH Password?

I can't seem to access my unRAID system through SSH after changing the root user password in the webUI.

I can login the webUI just fine with the password, but SSH simply doesn't work. In the webUI terminal, I ran passwd root to change the root password, but I still can't access the box from another computer.. Any ideas?

I initially used a password manager generated password with special characters, but hearing that it causes problems, I switched it to just letters and numbers.

4 hours ago, nnhoang said:

In the webUI terminal, I ran passwd root to change the root password, but I still can't access the box from another computer.

You do not want to change the password this way as it will not survive a reboot.  You need to do it via the webUI for it to be persistent.   As you mentioned avoid using special characters (or ones that are language specific and not part of the standard English keyboard map).

Quite why you can log in via the webUI and not by SSH I do not know.

• Thanks 1

So following a few guides, it seems unraid isn't really designed to be worked with the CLI, just the webUI. That's fine with me, I just like access to the CLI for manual tweaking as I'm a Linux user.

It seems the SSH plugin was what was causing the problem. I uninstalled it, deleted the /config/ssh folder, changed the password and it worked. I still wanted SSH access and my end goal was a SSH-key access, so I reinstalled SSH plugin and revoked access to SSH after following a guide to allow SSH-keys.

Quite a few workarounds, but everything is working smoothly now. I'm familiar with having to run scripts to get persistent setups, reminds me of ESXi.

Thanks all!