some advice after USB stick died

So the USB stick I use for unraid died and this server did not have its USB stick backed up. The little samsung stick seems completely dead, none of my systems even recognize the drive. Not in windows or macos, cant even see it on the device list. So I am unable to recover anything from it.

I replaced the stick and replaced they key through the automated process and I am back up running 6.8.3 but it knows nothing about my previous array. The data on this server isnt crazy important and can be recovered from other backups but I was hoping to somehow be able to restore the array.

I do have a photo i took of the array prior to the failure, so I DO know what drives go in what order in the array. But if I try to set it that way, it appears to treat them as just new devices (with that little blue icon).

Is there any way to restore the array to the way it was with the data intact, or will I have to just start pulling out the external hard copies?

thanks in advance!

When setting up a new array Unraid will recognise if a data disk has been previously used by Unraid and will leave its contents intact when you start the array.

the two points to keep in mind are:

• do not assign a disk to a parity slot unless you are SURE it is not a data drive as doing so will destroy its contents.   There are techniques for identifying which drive(s) might be parity drives if you are not sure but in this case it seems that is not a concern.
  • do NOT attempt to format a drive that should have data on it as doing so will erase its contents.

if for any reason your drives do not come back with there data intact it is a good idea to ask in the forum what to do.   The more experienced users will be able to provide guidance to help ensure you do not lose any data,