Anyone tried one of these SATA expansion cards from Aliexpress?

thingie2

I have been looking around at SATA expansion card options, and came across the JMS585 chipset mentioned in a couple of threads (here & here) as a well working option.

From a look around, I was originally going to get one from Amazon for ~£40, but then found Aliexpress seem to have an identical one for almost half that.

I know you need to take what you get from Aliexpress with a pinch of salt sometimes, and they can be fakes etc, but I was wondering, has anyone bought one of these cars from Aliexpress & if so, are they real & are they good?

6 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

When possible I recommend buying from a known brand, e.g. I have one of these and it works great, but I also got one of these (no brand) and it's also working fine.

That's normally what I go with, but I know a lot of the time the copies work just as well (and the 2 boards look identical from the pictures).

6 hours ago, CS01-HS said:

I'm using what I suspect is an H1110 knock off, $30. So far so good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133308217106

If I'd known I'd have sprung for real deal:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-81Y4494-H1110-SAS-2-6Gbps-HBA-LSI-9211-4i-P20-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/163937114433

Plenty of cheap no-name/knock offs on ebay.

Factor in the price of a cable.

Will take a look at those too then. As you said, cable will be an additional cost. I've got plenty of SATA cables, so would be cheaper in that regard going with a SATA board, rather than a SAS board.