Format doesn't proceed

So I moved and am trying to bring my array back online.  I have 17 disks and they all check out except for two.  I'm sure something got messed up in my attempts to bring it back online, but I am not sure what.  In any case, I am okay with this and it is now showing 2 disks as unformatted (but the array is running).

One has an orange dot, and the other red.  I confirm to format the disks, but nothing happens.  It says it is formatting, but then if I refresh it asks me to format again.

How do I get these disks to initialize?

I've tried it on 4.6 and upgraded to 5 beta 2.  Both are doing it.

Thanks!

So I moved and am trying to bring my array back online.  I have 17 disks and they all check out except for two.  I'm sure something got messed up in my attempts to bring it back online, but I am not sure what.  In any case, I am okay with this and it is now showing 2 disks as unformatted (but the array is running).

One has an orange dot, and the other red.  I confirm to format the disks, but nothing happens.  It says it is formatting, but then if I refresh it asks me to format again.

How do I get these disks to initialize?

I've tried it on 4.6 and upgraded to 5 beta 2.  Both are doing it.

Thanks!

Step 1, post a syslog.  A "red" indicator says that a "write" failed to the disk.  (could be anything from a bad disk, to a loose cable)

It will not go away on its own even if you fix the problem. 

Thank you for the quick reply.  I am noticing that each time I try to re-seat the sata cables and drives (RPC-4020), different drives show up missing, or red, etc...

I've sort of cobbled my current array together with budget sata controllers, and onboard mobo controllers.  While it worked, it most certainly wasn't reliable.  I need to do a re-build.  I was considering getting a new case and starting from scratch, but my current case seems to be a popular choice still.  Any idea where I can order replacement backplanes?  One of the sata plugs is loose (the socket on the plate) and another completely came off a few months back.  That's what you get for a budget case I suppose...

Should I try to resurrect this case, or go for something a little more solid?

Thanks again!

Archived