Matrox GPU Passthrough on Dell R710

I have a Dell R710 Server that I am trying to set up a couple of VMs on. The Dell R710 has a built in Matrox GPU which I am having a great deal of problems passing through. Everytime I try I get a " failed to setup container for group 13: Failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted". I have tried all settings for "PCIe ACS override:" but whatever I try I get the same error.

If I look in the IOMMU groups I see, no matter how I set PCIe ACS Override

IOMMU group 13:    [8086:244e] 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 92)

[102b:0532] 08:03.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)

Any ideas what to try next?

*The Dell R710 has a built in Matrox GPU, fitting alternatives is a possibility but is not easy as the PCIE slots are only 8x (so you have to butcher the slot to fit a 16x card in and run it at 8x) and the slot can only draw 25w so you need to provide external power to the GPU and this means hacking into the PSU or SATA line as there are no "spare" power taps like in a desktop. 

I do intend to try though, anyone fitted a GPU into a R710 for UNRAID?

i dont think it is advisable to passthorugh a server onboard graphics device honestly. there are better options that are single slot cards that only draw up to 75w from the slot.

but to answer your question, you have to passthrough all devices in the iommu group. so add a line for the pci bridge in your xml or try using acs override=multifunction to get the vga device in a single group. but i dont know if you'll get much out of performance

5 hours ago, 1812 said:

i dont think it is advisable to passthorugh a server onboard graphics device honestly. there are better options that are single slot cards that only draw up to 75w from the slot.

but to answer your question, you have to passthrough all devices in the iommu group. so add a line for the pci bridge in your xml or try using acs override=multifunction to get the vga device in a single group. but i dont know if you'll get much out of performance

I don't think the Matrox onboard graphics is an integrated GPU as such but rather a discrete GPU built onto the motherboard, isn't it? 

I have got it to pass through successfully now by turning on 

"VFIO allow unsafe interrupts:" to "yes".

I will look at fitting a more powerful GPU later.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by ridley