Data Between Docker Containers

New to UnRaid and more importantly to the Docker world - I come from the traditional VM world and left the tech sector before docker containers became mainstream

I have 2 containers/apps installed - Plex and ruTorrent - normally I would have just set them up on the same VM but trying to use docker containers

I cannot seem to figure out how - if at all - I can share the data between the two containers.  The torrents are stored in a share connected to the ruTorrent container while the Plex has its own share for content.  Normally, for torrent seeding purposes, once a torrent is downloaded, I just "move" the torrent to the Plex folder so it can continue to be seeded and be accessible to the Plex.

Any suggestions on the best practice for this scenario?  Do I need to drop back to a VM or is there a component within the docker containers that would fulfill this requirement?

Thanks in advance for the inputs!

When I view shares inside the ruTorrent container, the share that was setup for Plex is not visible?  I assumed that was because they were isolated from one another?  This may be a simple solution, just not overly familiar with managing containers yet.

Dockers are isolated, but it is possible for them to map the same shares, or to communicate in other ways, such as on the virtual network with API keys.

I use transmission instead of ruTorrent. Probably you just need to map the same shares.

Post your docker run for each as explained at this very first link in the Docker FAQ:

You don't necessarily need separate shares for plex and rutorrent, it comes down to more of a user preference of file separation or not.

You didn't say how you have your shares set up in the containers so I can advise you on your current configuration but I'll summarize a couple options for you.

Let's say your shares are like /mnt/user/Plex and /mnt/user/Torrents --- both docker containers could have the /data mount changed /mnt/user and then Plex's libraries can be changed to /data/Plex/ (because /mnt/user is already mapped to /data), and rutorrent can similarly be changed to /data/Torrents/

You could simplify by not having separate shares, i.e. make one Media share that would have your folders for Plex and Torrents and then the relevant folders would be /data/Plex and /data/Torrents again.

Basically, no matter what share you want access to from a docker it can be accessed by mounting /mnt/user/ --- that contains all your shares.

And then to take things a step further, if you wanted a more automated way of moving tv/movies to plex, you could use Radarr and Sonarr dockers.