Cant add and remove disk????

New to unraid and still on the fence, seems like it doesn't want me to like it.  I precleared a 6TB Seagate Iron Wolf and when it was done I tried to assign it to the array. I just added a few disks did not run a parity yet as I am loading or trying to load all my media files. I need to load one disk then preclear it, then add it to the array.  I finally loaded the files off and finished preclearing it today.  When I tried to add it to the array it states invalid expression  You may not add new disk(s) and also remove existing disk(s). I am not trying to remove disks just add a preclear one to the array.  

I have attached my log file up until I rebooted it thinking that would clear this issue up. If you need my log files from after the reboot I can get them.  Please help me!!!!  

mediahog-syslog-20200730-2305.zip

29 minutes ago, whitewraith said:

I just added a few disks did not run a parity yet

You have a parity disk assigned.

Jul 30 16:00:35 Tower kernel: md: import disk0: (sdb) ST16000NM001G-2KK103_ZL23XXAR size: 15625879500 

You can't add a disk when your parity disk (or any other disk) is invalid.

• Like 1

Here are my diagnostics.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

You have a parity disk assigned.

Jul 30 16:00:35 Tower kernel: md: import disk0: (sdb) ST16000NM001G-2KK103_ZL23XXAR size: 15625879500 

You can't add a disk when your parity disk is invalid.

Should i remove the parity drive until all my media is moved over? I was thinking running parity after each 6Tb drive would take a long long time.

mediahog-diagnostics-20200730-1645.zip

25 minutes ago, whitewraith said:

Should i remove the parity drive until all my media is moved over?

You can go to Tools - New Config and unassign parity until you have finished the initial data load.

25 minutes ago, whitewraith said:

I was thinking running parity after each 6Tb drive would take a long long time.

This statement seems to imply some confusion. After parity has been built, it is maintained in realtime. There is no "running parity". Realtime parity updates are the reason for the slower write speeds to the parity array.

• Like 1

Those diagnostics are without the array started so there are some things they don't tell us. What I can see is that you have already enabled dockers and VMs, and you don't have cache installed yet.

Do you plan to have cache? Dockers and VMs will not perform as well if you have them on the parity array, and they will keep array disks spinning since they will keep some files open. Since you have already enabled dockers and VMs, they already have created some files on the parity array and it will take a little work to get them on cache if that is what you intend.

33 minutes ago, trurl said:

Those diagnostics are without the array started so there are some things they don't tell us. What I can see is that you have already enabled dockers and VMs, and you don't have cache installed yet.

Do you plan to have cache? Dockers and VMs will not perform as well if you have them on the parity array, and they will keep array disks spinning since they will keep some files open. Since you have already enabled dockers and VMs, they already have created some files on the parity array and it will take a little work to get them on cache if that is what you intend.

This is only going to be strictly a Plex Media server. I will add a cache drive after the loading of all my movies and TV shows. I may also add another NVME for the plex meta data file.

40 minutes ago, trurl said:

You can go to Tools - New Config and unassign parity until you have finished the initial data load.

This statement seems to imply some confusion. After parity has been built, it is maintained in realtime. There is no "running parity". Realtime parity updates are the reason for the slower write speeds to the parity array.

So if it is trying to write parity while I am transferring  a lot of data 27TBish total, wouldn't that make it even slower to transfer all my media files? I am trying to make the transfer as fast as possible considering it is already going to take me days.

43 minutes ago, trurl said:

Thanks after doing this it allowed me to add the drive to my array!!!

31 minutes ago, whitewraith said:

This is only going to be strictly a Plex Media server. I will add a cache drive after the loading of all my movies and TV shows. I may also add another NVME for the plex meta data file.

The main thing about moving those to cache. You can't move open files. You have to disable Dockers and VMs (the services not just the individual dockers/VMs) then you can move them, or mover will move them to cache for you since those shares are cache-prefer. When you get ready to add cache post new diagnostics and we can work through all that.

• Like 1