MaxInc's recycled Server

First, a big thanks to the helpful community and to Lime-Tech for creating such an amazing product.

Started as an experiment, this has become the heart of my digital home. It mainly stores media files and sends them to 3 streaming locations around the house. It also stores backup copies of my work mini servers. Probably the most interesting is that has been built from recycled bits (leftovers from client and various upgrades) with a few shiny extras. This has kept the costs to the minimum without sacrificing on performance or design.

OS at present time: unRAID 4.6 Pro

CPU: 1.6GHz Intel Celeron E1200 (leftover)

Motherboard: Intel DQ965GF (leftover)

RAM: 2 x 1GB Corsair DDR2 (leftover)

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 810 on wheels(leftover)

Drive Cage(s): Cooler Master 4 in 3 cages (leftovers from similar cases)

Power Supply: Tagan Easycon 580W (TG-580-U15) (leftover)

SATA Expansion Card(s): Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Cables: 3ware Multilane SAS to 4 SATA, NZXT Molex to 4 SATA

Fans: Xilence Red Wing 120mm / hydro bearing (very quiet)

Parity Drive: 1.5TB SAMSUNG HD154UI

Data Drives: 1.5TB SAMSUNG HD154UI (1), 1TB SAMSUNG HD103SI (6), 500GB WD AAKS (4)

Cache Drive: 320GB Hitachi

Total Drive Capacity: 9.5TB

Expandable Capacity: 30TB

Primary Use: Media storage, backup

Likes: Everything, simple, cost effective and expandable protected storage.

Dislikes: 13 drives spinning up tend to be a bit noisy. That's why it sits in the loft.

Add Ons Used: The basics like cache_dirs, unMenu, Clean Powerdown and apsupsd.

Future Plans: Keep adding storage as demand grows.

Boot (peak): 320W

Idle all disk spinning (avg): 170W

Active parity check (avg): 210W

Idle all disk spun down (avg): 90W

Open case front view

NvN30.jpg

Open case side view

jnqgK.jpg

Mainboard and cpu

FSk4G.jpg

Drives. Bottom one is the cache drive.

YucUe.jpg

Closed front

GvTcW.jpg

Loft data center showing my new HP Microservers

Qz8lE.jpg

Well there you have it. It has been running in my loft for about 2 and a half years without a single problem or parity error. It is surprisingly quiet and you can't hear much when all drives are sleeping, thanks to these amazing fans powered on 7V to about half their normal RPM.

Love the case too

with a bit of skill you can add easily 2 more 4 in 3 drivecages on the bottom since there is obviously enough space there

just need to drill a few holes in the side panel for the fans

another mobo with 2 pcie x4 possibility and you are settled for the max of unraid...

[me=sacretagent]searched ebay SGP for stacker 810  :o[/me]

Thanks all for the appreciation. It is a topic about compulsive design so I guess it fit in just fine. It is kind of sad that I spend tidying up the cables inside a machine locked in the dark instead of watching a movie but it gives me comfort.

with a bit of skill you can add easily 2 more 4 in 3 drivecages on the bottom since there is obviously enough space there

just need to drill a few holes in the side panel for the fans

The case is amazingly spacious. On the front there are 12 x 5" bays so you can fit up to 16 drives if you want to. That means you would have to relocate the power switch and leds, which for a unRAID are pretty useless anyway.

On the bottom, the metal mesh is removable and you can easily fit 2 more cages, which can be fixed fan side down, with 4 screws each. Minimum modding required. Hard drives in those cages could be installed vertically and give you a total of 24 drives in one very heavy case (wheels come in handy here).

It's a shame CM is no longer making them but you can find them on eBay every now and then.

The Microservers are mostly for my business (emails, testing etc) but one of them is also acting as MySQL server for XBMC and does all the media dirty jobs (torrents, usenet, remuxing, tagging etc). They only use 30-40W each.