4.7 / 5.0b3 Testing Thread

You asked so I'll give you a meaty set of tasks.  Feel free to shorten it based on time you have available.  

- Upgrade the firmware on the F4s (if you haven't already)

- Prepare flash with 4.7b1.

- Boot unRAID 4.7b1.  Confirm your key is working (all disk slots should be available on the devices page).

- Download newest preclear script.

The above is all done.  I configured the server name, a root password, a static IP address, time zone, and NTP time servers.  I also installed unmenu, screen, openssl-solibs, openssh, compiler & tools (not set to reinstall), ssmtp, bwm-ng.  I rebooted and made sure unmenu, ssh, screen, ssmtp are all still working.  I made sure the Pro license is still working and made sure all 4 test disks are visible (they are, but not formatted or part of an array).  Everything is working as expected so far.

- Preclear the four disks with the new preclear script (use "-A" option).  Carefully review all output to make sure drives are good.

I’ve started the preclears, each in a separate screen:

./preclear_disk.sh -m me@somewhere -M 4 -A /dev/sda

./preclear_disk.sh -m me@somewhere -M 4 -A /dev/sdb

./preclear_disk.sh -m me@somewhere -M 4 -A /dev/sdc

./preclear_disk.sh -m me@somewhere -M 4 -A /dev/sdd

Of course I used my real email address, not me@somewhere.  It’s just a few minutes in to the disk Pre-Read part of the four simultaneous preclears.  They’re running at 106 MB/s to 121MB/s at this time.  I probably won't post again until at least the first preclear is done.

I'll start in on the rest of the following tests once the preclears are done.

- Add two of them to the array (1 EARS as parity and 1 F4 as disk1)

- Set them at 4K aligned partition in unRAID (won't matter since preclear will already have done it, but good to set it correctly)

- Start array (parity computes), format disk

- Confirm that drives are using sector 64 offset.  You can use myMain (I just completed an update that displays the partition alignment), or use the comand fdisk -lu /dev/sdX, where sdX is the device name.

- Add some data to the F4.

- Add 2nd F4 to the array (it is precleared so should be quick).  Format it.  Confirm data is still on the existing F4 (i.e., format only formatted the new F4)

- Confirm alignment again.

- Copy a bunch of data and beat the living crap out of the F4s, verifying that they are trustworthy.  (You might want to research situations that have caused data loss with the F4s and the old firmware, and try to do some of those things and make sure you 110% trust them with your most precious data.)

- Run parity check.  Make sure no parity errors.

- Stop array, go to devices page and unassign one of the F4s, start the array.  Verify you can access the missing disk (unRAID will be simulating it).

- Stop array, go to devices page, and assign the remaining EARS to the removed F4s slot.  Set drive to sector 64 partition alignment.  Start the array. Drive should rebuild onto the new EARS.  Verify EARS restores properly.

- Confirm alignment.

- Use "dd" command to clear MBR on the remaining F4.

- Stop array, assign F4 to a new disk slot, make sure to set it to use sector 64 alignment, start array.  unRAID will do its own internal clear.  Will take a while.  When done, allow unRAID to format the disk.  

- Confirm alignment.

- Write more data to the array.

- Final parity check.

To expedite things, should I just do one preclear pass on each drive for now, or should I run 2 or 3 of them?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To expedite things, should I just do one preclear pass on each drive for now, or should I run 2 or 3 of them?

I would recommend doing whatever you would normally do as far as preclearing.  You likely won't want to pull them and prereclear them again.

I'll update this post as I progress through the test:

A1 - Works fine.

A2 - works fine.

A3 - Works fine

A4 - Can't get NFS to work. I've set the NFS export to *(rw) and mounted the drive in windows but i keep getting the error 'Access is denied'. I haven't use NFS before though so it could well just be something i'm doing.

A5- Works fine

A6 - Works fine

A7 - Works fine

B1A - Works Fine

B1B - Running parity check now. 71 errors found at beginning. 83 in total

B2 - Works fine

B3 - Upgraded parity drive to larger disk. Worked fine

D1 - Works fine

D2 - Works fine

D3 - Works fine

E1 - Tested by transferring multiple folders containing a mixture of file sizes, speeds seem pretty comparable although my disks are old.

OK, I double checked and it does work. I was confused about it not being possible. I must have tried to move slots or something before and saw that didn't work.

Peter

Cool!  (Now that you know about this feature, hope it comes in handy someday!)

All testers - I am updating the progress on the OP.  Please keep sending updates!

Thanks!

A5- Only spare HDD I have is bigger than the existing parity so i've swapped that round and its currently rebuilding parity.

Intent of A5 did not require another disk.  I clarified it in the OP.  Please post if questions.

If you did more, post results.  You get extra credit!

Thanks

Suggest:

D4 = SABnzdb

D5 = Sick Beard

I think that once we get through this shakedown test we're doing, testing the other addons is a good idea.  Just don't want them running at the same time as the core unRAID tests, becuase then if something goes wrong we won't know whether it was unRAID or the addon that caused the problem.

I'll update this post as I progress through the test:

A1 - Works fine.

A2 - works fine.

A3 - Works fine

A5- Works fine

A6 - Works fine

A7 - Works fine

B1A - Works Fine

B1B - Running parity check now. 71 errors found at beginning. 83 in total

B2 - Works fine

B3 - Upgraded parity drive to larger disk. Worked fine

D1 - Works fine

D2 - Works fine

D3 - Works fine

E1 - Tested by transferring multiple folders containing a mixture of file sizes, speeds seem pretty comparable although my disks are old.

Very good!!  Updated OP.

Just two comments:

1 - Step B1B found more parity errors than expected.  I would have thought maybe 30-40, and all within 30 seconds of starting.  Is it possible there were some parity issues in the array at the start?  Doesn't matter, 83 is nothing compared to the number on the disk.  The trust parity worked.

2 - For E1 - do some repeatable timed tests on old version vs new version.  For example, copy 50G from your workstation to the array.  Then delete the 50G from the array, reboot with new version.  Copy exactly same data to exactly same drive.  Try to keep network quiet during the test (no dl'ing).  Post the times it took.  Probably will be very close, but I've found more differences between versions than expected sometimes.

Thanks carpet3!  You've done some excellent tests.  4.7b1 looking pretty good!!

Hope this is ok. I've added a page to the wiki about testing new unRAID builds (to start it's jsut a copy pasta of the OP)

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Test_New_Build

Obviously this will need to be updated semi-regularly as tests for features like AF will be unnecessary once they've settled down.

I hope this will allow us to come up with a decent standard to test new unRAID builds with, if Limetech could contribute if they perform any additional tests we could also do that would be great :)

I've run one preclear cycle on two WD20EARS drives and on two Samsung HD204UI drives on my 4.7b1 install.  I've started up 2 more preclear cycles on each, but it will probably be about 4 more days before the two Samsung drives have finished the 2nd and 3rd preclear cycles.

One WD20EARS drive took 30:15:50 to clear, the second WD20EARS drive took 32:32:37 to clear.

One Samsung HD204UI drive took 47:43:26 to clear, the second Samsung HD204UI drive took 48:39:30 to clear.

No problems found in preclearing.

The two Samsungs took an average of 54.4 percent more time to preclear than the two WD drives.

Enclosed are the emailed 1st cycle of preclear reports for each of these 4 drives.  Unless something is significantly different, I won't bother posting the reports for cycles 2 and 3 for these drives.

amp1-SamsungHD204UI-drive1-pass1.txt

amp1-SamsungHD204UI-drive2-pass1.txt

amp1-WD20EARS-drive1-pass1.txt

amp1-WD20EARS-drive2-pass1.txt

"From the Amp1 Custom Script: - Confirm that drives are using sector 64 offset.  You can use myMain (I just completed an update that displays the partition alignment), or use the comand fdisk -lu /dev/sdX, where sdX is the device name."

What is the preferred procedure for updating myMain? And where would I look for the 64 offset info?

When you update unmenu you update myMain at the same time. I added the partition offset to the inventory tab by default, but you can customize any view to display it.

Thanks for the great program.

FWIW, I tried to update unMenu by starting at Google Code, but that hasn't changed since December. So i started a Telnet session and typed:

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install -c

Worked perfectly.

When you update unmenu you update myMain at the same time. I added the partition offset to the inventory tab by default, but you can customize any view to display it.

Thanks for the great program.

FWIW, I tried to update unMenu by starting at Google Code, but that hasn't changed since December. So i started a Telnet session and typed:

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install -c

Worked perfectly.

The unmenu_install script has not changed since December 4th.  There have been 35 changes to unMENU since the last change to the unmenu_install script, some minor, some major, some administrative to update the official release_list that unmenu_install uses. 

See here: http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/source/list?num=25&start=219

unRAID users constantly suggest improvements and submit their own changes/scripts/plugins to be included.  unMENU is designed to be easily extensible.

Note: You could have also used the button on the unMEU "User-Scripts" page to check for updates and then install them.  There is no need to use the command line if you don't want to (the buttons just invoke the unmenu_install command for you)

Joe L.