SMB Not Working (Sort of) After IP Address Changes

Unraid Version: 6.8.2.  Lost a router (unraid was 192.168.29.100) and setup temporary router with different unraid address (192.168.4.100).  I appear to have a login problem.  Network.cfg shows correct ipaddr, network settings show correct addresses (IP, Gateway and DNS).  When I try to access via SMB address (\\HUNTERNAS), I get windows cannot access \\HUNTERNAS.  If I type \\192.168.4.100 in windows, I get an unraid login and I then I can see all the shares if I login with the same user as the PC.  I must be missing a configuration somewhere that connects the new IP with HUNTERNAS.  Not sure where to correct that?  Or is it in a temp file somewhere?

Thanks in advance!  

Are you using Static IP address for the server?  If so, go to     Settings   >>>>>     Network Settings  Did you change the   IPv4 default gateway:   address to match the new router. 

Next check to see that you assigned the static IP address in the router table for static addresses. 

Edited by Frank1940
17 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Are you using Static IP address for the server?  If so, go to     Settings   >>>>>     Network Settings  Did you change the   IPv4 default gateway:   address to match the new router. 

Next check to see that you assigned the static IP address in the router table for static addresses. 

Yes, I believe all IPV4 addresses are correct...here's the Network Settings...

Interface eth0
Interface description:
MAC address: 08:60:6E:F1:53:41
Enable bonding: No
Enable bridging: No
Network protocol: 
IPv4 only
IPv4 address assignment: 
Static
IPv4 address: 192.168.4.100 / 24
IPv4 default gateway: 192.168.4.1

optional metric (lowest is preferred)
IPv4 DNS server assignment: Static
IPv4 DNS server: 192.168.4.1
IPv4 DNS server 2: 8.8.8.8
IPv4 DNS server 3: 8.8.4.4
Desired MTU: 1500
Enable VLANs: No

Docker service must be Stopped to change (see Settings)
Routing Table
PROTOCOL	ROUTE			GATEWAY					METRIC	
	IPv4	default			192.168.4.1 via eth0		1	
	IPv4	172.17.0.0/16		docker0					1	
	IPv4	192.168.4.0/24		eth0					1	

IPv6	::1	lo	256	

The SMB Local Master.  

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/34889-dynamix-v6-plugins/page/44/?tab=comments#comment-462656

and then quote in the first post of this thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/

The second post also contains some information about SMB 'problems'. 

IF you need information on setting up your server as the Local Master, see here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53023-network-trouble/?tab=comments#comment-519004

Thanks Frank!  Great discussion about SMB on your first link.

1. I set my unRaid server as Local Master and monitor current elected master (dynamix plugin - latest version 2020.06.20) a long time ago when I first setup SMB.  Its still that way (see black arrow in screenshot).

2. Verified unRaid server AND PC in correct workgroup (see green arrows).

3. From PC ran Net View /domain, curious that I see BOTH HunterLAN and Workgroup in the response (see Red Arrow).  I have other devices on the network (phones, iPad, IP Cameras, Skylight controller, TV's), but none setup with SMB that I'm aware. 

Further thoughts?

SMB Issue.jpg

Edited by jeffreywhunter

I will first post up my command window from my WIN10 computer:

1783181210_Annotation2020-08-22155221.jpg.9cf0f4f3617f924dc397b3d6aa6e6e6c.jpg

My Workgroup is name 'HOME'  

You show a second workgroup named WORKGROUP.  I would suspect that you have another computer running SMB somewhere on your network as that is the default SMB Workgroup name.  At this point, I would not be too worried about the extra Workgroup.

However, you should be seeing \\HUNTERLAN listed as a server.   I would suggest that you go to the last three pages of this thread and read them.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/

MS has changed some defaults in the past few months and depending on what changes you made on your computer earlier, you could be impacted by them.  If that does solve the problem, let's further investigate this statement:

On 8/15/2020 at 12:26 PM, jeffreywhunter said:

When I try to access via SMB address (\\HUNTERNAS), I get windows cannot access \\HUNTERNAS. 

Are you getting some sort of error message? 

On 8/15/2020 at 12:26 PM, jeffreywhunter said:

If I type \\192.168.4.100 in windows, I get an unraid login and I then I can see all the shares if I login with the same user as the PC.

This almost leads me to believe you might have a manifestation of this problem:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392 

Another question.  What happens in Windows Explorer when you open up the "Network" header in the Navigation pane?  (You may have to enable the Navigation pane from the View menu.)

Solving SMB problems is never easy.  You usually end up doing it by process of elimination. 

One more thing.  If you go to Windows Explorer and open up the service by typing in its IP address, after the server has opened, you can drag the 'icon' on the left side of the address bar and drop it on the Desktop as a shortcut.  (You can edit the properties of the shortcut to rename it, change its desktop icon, etc...) 

I actually see the HUNTERNAS server in the Network folder in file manager as I always have.  Except when I try to open it, I get "Windows cannot access \\HUNTERNAS (See Screenshot)...

SMB Problem.jpg

however if I put 192.168.4.100 (the static IP I gave the server), then it works as it should (See other screenshot).  Somehow, \\HunterNAS isn't being translated to 192.168.4.100 in SMB?

SMB Problem 2.jpg

Edited by jeffreywhunter

Check the Window hosts file and see if there is an entry for the server.

In the  Task Bar, type  Credential Manger and open it up.   Look under Windows Credentials.  Delete any for the server.  (As I recall, some folks actually say to delete all Windows Credentials.)

About that error message.  Windows networking error messages are usually not very informative and (sometimes) they are actually misleading.

EDIT:  As I said, at this point, I would create the Desktop shortcut to use until someone can figure out what is going on. 

Edited by Frank1940

On 8/22/2020 at 9:33 PM, Frank1940 said:

One more thought.  Look at Lanscaner to see what your WIN10 computer 'thinks' is the Local Master.  Details are in this post.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/70235-cant-access-nas-from-only-one-pc-on-network/?tab=comments#comment-643782

Ok, evidently SMB can be affected by MANY things?  What triggered this problem is replacing a defective router and in the process changing the IP address structure temporarily.  There is an OBSCURE setting in the router called "Smart Access" (see screenshot) when says it enables Network Place (SAMBA) network PCs to be accessed remotely.  When I turned that on, suddenly I can now see my unraid server.  I've made a number of other settings changes to my network, most notably going back to the original IP class address (192.168.29.xxx), perhaps the IP change back to the original setup fixed it (a cache somewhere?).  Regardless, this is now solved.  Could it have been the router setting?  Or cache somewhere?  I hate it when I fix something, but can't identify what I did.

2020-08-24_13-15.jpg